Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Was this a good deal

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was this a good deal

Hey y'all,

I got a 06' 4x4 4.6 v8 screw f150 for 11k. It came with 20"wheels, 35" tired that need to be replaced, and flow master exhaust. The interior and body are top notch. The engine compartment is clean and so is the underbody. So far there aren't any noises, brake pads have a lot to go, no shuddering or anything.

The one thing that does happen and its once in a while, is that when shifting into drive, the engine will rev to about 2-2.5k for just a sec then it's normal, the truck doesn't jump or anything and like I said it only does that high rev once in a while, and I checked to see if it was my foot on the gas pedal and it's not so I'm not sure what it could be.

It has 168k miles on it so I was wondering what should I be prepared for as far as maintenance is concerned?

Thanks for you info. Here's a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails Was this a good deal-image-200520811.jpg  
Old 03-29-2015, 01:23 AM

Anyone?
Old 03-29-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems like a high price to me IMHO. Given the mileage and the fact that it needs new 35" tires, on 20" wheels to boot.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Try disconnecting the negative terminal for 30 min and see if that helps and if not clean the throttle body w/ throttle body cleaner
Old 03-31-2015, 02:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I just bought a 2008 Screw 4x4 with 51,000miles for 12k that is completely stock but I bought it across the border and I haven't found anything similar on this side of the border for under 16k so I'm convinced I got a pretty good deal. I would say compared to what I have seen for asking prices here if everything works out well with the truck and it is truly in good condition and all up on regular maintenance then I think you got an ok deal.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by CountyMounty
Well I just bought a 2008 Screw 4x4 with 51,000miles for 12k that is completely stock but I bought it across the border and I haven't found anything similar on this side of the border for under 16k so I'm convinced I got a pretty good deal. I would say compared to what I have seen for asking prices here if everything works out well with the truck and it is truly in good condition and all up on regular maintenance then I think you got an ok deal.
Cool thanks man. Is there anything I should pay attention to with a truck having that many miles on it? Like a 18k or 200k tune up or pay attention anything that might be prone to busting at that high of a mileage?
Old 03-31-2015, 05:04 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well there are two schools of thought. 1 is to not fix things that are not broken or not spend money on things that may not be necessary and the other is to do preventive maintenance to hopefully save money in the long run. I believe in the later but it does cost money. I expect to probably put near $1000 into mine for things that are not necessarily "needed". I have had it about a month and even with only 51,000 miles I have done or plan of doing fluid changes (tranny, power steering, brake, coolant, differentials, transfer case) fuel filter, idle pulleys and belt, cleaned MAF throttle body, spark plugs and whatever other little things I can find recommended. At the very least even if you dont want to put much money into it right away you can do some cheaper stuff like clean MAF and TB, power steering and brake fluid.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:04 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

The periodic engine rev between shifts would have me convcerned. I'd take it to a transmission shop and get an inspection done. Most transmission shops do it for free; just be careful of some that will want to sell you some service on it.

I'm lucky in that I have a local AAMCO shop near me that I've used for years. They have performed my fluid flushes during the maintenance schedule (old school 30K fluid changes) on all my owned vehicles.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:08 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Well there are two schools of thought. 1 is to not fix things that are not broken or not spend money on things that may not be necessary and the other is to do preventive maintenance to hopefully save money in the long run. I believe in the later but it does cost money. I expect to probably put near $1000 into mine for things that are not necessarily "needed". I have had it about a month and even with only 51,000 miles I have done or plan of doing fluid changes (tranny, power steering, brake, coolant, differentials, transfer case) fuel filter, idle pulleys and belt, cleaned MAF throttle body, spark plugs and whatever other little things I can find recommended. At the very least even if you dont want to put much money into it right away you can do some cheaper stuff like clean MAF and TB, power steering and brake fluid.
I agree; unless you have a paper trail from the previous owner/dealer you bought from, you should never assume that decent prior maintenance was performed. Good maintenance goes a long way to prevent future break downs, and promote longentivity.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:11 AM
Mark

Received 2,423 Likes on 2,121 Posts

that my Friend is a killer deal...

Quick Reply: Was this a good deal