Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Getting better mileage w/ CAI, programmer, dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting better mileage w/ CAI, programmer, dual exhaust

I'm planning on getting dual flowmasters, a K&N CAI, and some sort of programmer for my '06 XLT 5.4L 4x4 that I just bought last week, so far I love the truck.

What I'd really like to accomplish with all of that stuff is great mileage. Some of you might laugh at me but the reason I need good mileage is because I work for a heavy highway construction company and I put on a ton of miles and also need to do the occasional job-site off-road trip.

Here is my big question: if I really want good mileage, do I really want all that stuff or do I just want to get an economy tuner? I do love the sound of duals and like the idea of adding a few horsepower for towing along with having the added economy.

Any suggestions for a total package would be awesome, thanks guys!

p.s. Don't want an exhaust that's deafening on the highway, remember, I drive around 30,000 miles per year.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:36 PM

I recently had a Magnaflo SI/DO installed on my '06 Screw with the 5.4L. I am getting almost 1.5 mpg better than stock. I also have a K&N CAI to put on, but I am waiting for my Gryphon to get here first. Hopping to squeeze a few more mpg's out of it. Oh, and my exhaust is just a little louder than factory. Not annoying at all.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

You're not going to get significant MPG gains on a 5.4......Tuners, CAI, and exhaust will help yes, but after shelling out about $500.00 for it all (depending on quality), you might see a 2 to maybe 3 MPG increase; I don't see this as "GREAT MILEAGE" as you put it. These gains are better than stock, but most experience a drop in MPG as they cannot keep their foot out of the gas pedal, as they see significant gains in HP and torque and want to enjoy that part!

If your wanting to add the stuff just for the MPG increase, save the money for tanks of gas. If you want some performance gains and a small tweak in the MPG, go for it.

ATOM has some first hand experience in the 5.4, so he will chime in and offer you some hope perhaps.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the reply bucko. 2-3 mpg is pretty significant in my book, on the highway that puts me over 20 mpg (not too bad for a bad *** truck). Got to admit I do love to put the pedal down and really rip every once in awhile and I'm sure I'll be doing it more once I make the upgrades.

I did some math and found that if the gain in mileage is even 2 mpg, over 150,000 miles I will save over $2,000 if the price of gas is $2.50/gallon. That's a lot of money that I could be putting into kickass mods that make my truck look and drive better.

Anyone got a good combination for exhuast, CAI, programmer?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chance
I recently had a Magnaflo SI/DO installed on my '06 Screw with the 5.4L. I am getting almost 1.5 mpg better than stock. I also have a K&N CAI to put on, but I am waiting for my Gryphon to get here first. Hopping to squeeze a few more mpg's out of it. Oh, and my exhaust is just a little louder than factory. Not annoying at all.
Thanks for the great info. Keep 'em coming guys.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 AM

I've got an Airaid intake, Bully Dog Triple Dog, and Gibson Cat back. I picked up about 1/2 MPG, but I love the sound and the power!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by krock918316
I've got an Airaid intake, Bully Dog Triple Dog, and Gibson Cat back. I picked up about 1/2 MPG, but I love the sound and the power!
How do you like the bully Dog, not many people have those.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:10 AM

I like it. I've never had the truck on a dyno, but "seat of the pants" I thought it made a nice difference.

I always run the 91 octane gas, and the highest level program.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:50 PM

Is any programmer (or stock computer settings) compatible (won't lean the air/fuel mixture too much) with and aftermarket exhaust and cold air intake?

Quick Reply: Getting better mileage w/ CAI, programmer, dual exhaust