Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Getting an 06 5.4l triton. New to forums

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting an 06 5.4l triton. New to forums

Hey all! First off, I'm TJ. Ill be getting my 06 f150 5.4l triton on monday. Waiting for dealer to finish up some cleaning.

Would like to know what I should do for some cheap, but very effective performance upgrades I can do to this beauty.

Also, maybe some things to "look out for" or be aware of. Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance, and look forward to seeing whatever this may bring!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drailoch
Hey all! First off, I'm TJ. Ill be getting my 06 f150 5.4l triton on monday. Waiting for dealer to finish up some cleaning.

Would like to know what I should do for some cheap, but very effective performance upgrades I can do to this beauty.

Also, maybe some things to "look out for" or be aware of. Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance, and look forward to seeing whatever this may bring!
Find out if the spark plugs and coil packs have been replaced. 04-08 f150's have a 2 piece spark plug and typically a few will break and need to be extracted when you're doing a tune up. The replacement plugs from Motorcraft are 1 piece now because of this. If factory plugs are still being used, get these changed out asap. After 90k miles you'll probably be breaking at least one. Also, look out for a diesel sound from the engine. This could be indicative of the cam phasers, Vct. Timing chain, guides and tensioners needing to be replaced. Big job, usually 12hrs. Ask the dealer for any maitenance records. These are probably the 2 biggest issues with these trucks. Also check for corrosion on the fpdm. For performance, get a tuner. Some guys are selling theirs in the community forum. Search the forums for these terms, tons of info has been posted. Grats on the truck, hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by Low Pan; 03-26-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's a list of things to google.

1. Spark plugs
2. Cam phases
3. Timing chain slap
4. VCT solenoids

I'm sure others will weight in. If these engines are properly maintained they are great so I'm not trying to scare you off because I love my 05 5.4.

My engine is pretty much stock so others can weigh in on performance. If you got any pics of the truck post them up.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:36 PM

Ahh! Ok. Thanks for the advice in advance. The dealership received the truck LAST NIGHT as a trade in. So I don't have/know much info on that stuff. It's from a big dealership, but I don't know if that would change anything. Do they normally check for things like this? Never gone through a dealer before.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:57 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Ahh! Ok. Thanks for the advice in advance. The dealership received the truck LAST NIGHT as a trade in. So I don't have/know much info on that stuff. It's from a big dealership, but I don't know if that would change anything. Do they normally check for things like this? Never gone through a dealer before.
Just ask them if they have maintenance records.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:06 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Get the extended warranty. I bought my 08 5.4l super crew 6 weeks ago. After owning it 2 weeks, I got a new engine under warranty. And the vehicle had extensive maintenance records Previous owner babied the truck. But sometimes there is a reason they trade something in, and you may not notice that issue when you buy it.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by tuflehundon
Get the extended warranty. I bought my 08 5.4l super crew 6 weeks ago. After owning it 2 weeks, I got a new engine under warranty. And the vehicle had extensive maintenance records Previous owner babied the truck. But sometimes there is a reason they trade something in, and you may not notice that issue when you buy it.
Ahh ok. What'd that cost ya?
Old 03-26-2016, 10:25 PM

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

+1 on a warranty if you can get one. Every thing everyone said is correct, there have been a few issues with the 5.4L, but over all its a good engine. Like anything, it has to do with maintenance.

I have a 07 screw, just hit 100K and runs great. Will never trade it. Love the body style. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an '07 5.4L. Nearly 137k miles. Runs quiet and no issues. Just listen to the engine when it is cold and when it is hot. Listen for ticks, rattles, knocks - things like that. If the engine makes excessive noise, I would pass it up. Just my opinion. These engines (specifically the 5.4L) are very sensitive and need meticulous maintenance. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:42 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Ahh ok. What'd that cost ya?
My price went up $34 a month. Got my warranty at the dealership.

Honestly you most likely won't need the warranty. But for how inexpensive it was, I couldn't pass up the coverage. My engine was $7500 to replace since they used a Ford engine.

Quick Reply: Getting an 06 5.4l triton. New to forums