Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Generic Cam Phaser Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Generic Cam Phaser Questions

So I know I could search for an hour or so and probably find these answers but since I'm using a cell phone this is much easier.

I hear of phasers making the same noise after being replaced. Does this happen immediately or is it after 10,000 miles? Or does it vary a lot? Is there a chance the noise would never come back?

I have seen the cam phaser lock out kits. and I have heard they work really well. Are these preventative so you install the kit before the phasers become an issue or is it a solution to the issue once it has arose? If you install the lockout kit do you also replace phasers etc?

I am working on an 05 f150 5.4 with 110 thousand miles. Phasers only make noise after it has been running a while. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:11 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by CSprain
So I know I could search for an hour or so and probably find these answers but since I'm using a cell phone this is much easier.

I hear of phasers making the same noise after being replaced. Does this happen immediately or is it after 10,000 miles? Or does it vary a lot? Is there a chance the noise would never come back?

I have seen the cam phaser lock out kits. and I have heard they work really well. Are these preventative so you install the kit before the phasers become an issue or is it a solution to the issue once it has arose? If you install the lockout kit do you also replace phasers etc?

I am working on an 05 f150 5.4 with 110 thousand miles. Phasers only make noise after it has been running a while. Thanks for any help.
Hi.

If you read through the details of the kit, it answers yer prevention questions:

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...epair-Kit.html

Yes - it can reoccur at any time - usually due to either improper post-repair maintenance, poor quality components or poor /incomplete installation.

BTW- cellphone use does not absolve you from the effort of searching. Not my fault the apps are all crap. Progress my ***.

good luck
MGD
Old 04-04-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the quick help, i appreciate all the answers. I think I am going to tackle can phasers next week!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old thread I know but just wondering if you did install the lock outs and how it worked out. My 4.6 is also starting to tick after being run a while. Run around town , no problem. Hit the hwy for about an hour and pull up to a stop sign hear tick tick tick, after about 1200 rpm or so sound can not be heard. Thanks for any reply

2010 4.6 3v

Quick Reply: Generic Cam Phaser Questions