Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

General Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Maintenance

Hey so im new to my 05 f150 XLT screw, and love it so far. Ive only really had junk vehicles prior to now and havnt been all over the maintenance. I want this truck to stay in great shape, so wanted so tips on what to do regularly to keep her 100%, other than your standard oil change/filter what should I be watching? fuel filter? plugs (when/how many km)..e.t.c?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel filter, air filter, and oil changes on time. DO NOT USE FRAM FILTERS. I recomend motor craft filters. If your truck is a 5.4 read the sticky at the top of the page in the 04-08 section about spark plugs.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 PM
5.4L Powerstroke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I do...
1. Check the TB every year. Just sometime while doing an oil change. If it's pretty black just remove the air intake, filter box, and TB and clean it with TB Cleaner and a soft toothbrush.
(Note: DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER! Carb cleaner will potentially damage the finish)

2. Run a can of Seafoam through the PCV AND the brake booster line 2x a year.
(Note: the PCV services the Driver side, the Brake Booster services the Pass. side.)

3. Optional: Run a can of Seafoam through the oil once a year. Run it for 300-500 miles. I generally do mine in the fall, prior to the change that will take me through the winter months. (1.4oz/qt of oil)

4. Check your fluids regularly, you never know what might come up. Coolant, brake, power steering, etc...

5. Make sure there is no cluttered debris (dead bugs, leaves, grass..etc) in front of your radiator, blocking your air intake, just anywhere under the hood. Check your air filter also, every 2-3 oil changes depending on your driving habits and driving environment, driving on gravel will clog it up pretty fast.

6. WD-40 your door hinges and hood hinges. Keeps them from freezing or squeaking.

7. Check other misc things under the hood and around the truck. Anything can happen and go bad without you knowing it, so it never hurts to just look around when you have time. All of the bulbs, tire pressure, brakes, switches, belts, pulleys, fuses, wipers, vents, just about anything man. Take some time, inspect anything you think may need some attention in the near future.

Hope this helps, good luck and enjoy the truck!

Notes: Never use Fram, Wix is a far better alternative. Whatever oil you choose, stick with that weight. You can differ if you have to, but don't use 5-20 full syn in one change then use 10-30 regular oil in the next... Keep it consistent. Change the oil every 3000-5000 miles, plugs should really only need replaced once in the truck's life (100,000 miles per set), COP's too.

Last edited by SallyTwoDiqs; 12-29-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:48 PM

Hey thanks guys, I really appreciate it! i have a few questions, bare with me.. what is TB? why is fram so bad? I bought my truck with 91,000 km on it, so is plugs something i should think about?

Last edited by Rilles1; 12-29-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

TB is throttle Body. Fram filter quality is not up to par when it comes to reviews; many neutral testing places have rated them low. The Motorcraft filters get a good review.

As to maintenance, use this Ford recommended link as a guide, based on your driving habits:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...les/GetYMM.asp
Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

look in the owners manuel, i believe there is a section that lists all of the maintence
Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

im old school
oil 3k
trans 30k
rear end oil 30k
fuel and air filters 15k
tire rotation 6k
coolant flush 50k
a good fuel system cleaner like gumout regane high mileage every oil change
when you change filters its a good idea to clean the throttle body and mass air flow sensor
check the manual often to make sue your not forgeting something

Last edited by jamesyarbrough; 12-29-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rilles1
Hey thanks guys, I really appreciate it! i have a few questions, bare with me.. what is TB? why is fram so bad? I bought my truck with 91,000 km on it, so is plugs something i should think about?

yep id change the plugs. start seafoaming it
Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to get the transmission fluid and filter changed before hitting 100,000 miles. The local shops in my area will not touch a transmission for fluid & filter service after the tranny has 100,000 miles on it. One of them told me he had seen transmissions with 100,000+ miles on it develop problems immediately after transmission fluid & filter changes, so be sure to get this done first.

Shop around for the price of this service. In my area, prices vary a surprising amount.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by jonquil
Be sure to get the transmission fluid and filter changed before hitting 100,000 miles. The local shops in my area will not touch a transmission for fluid & filter service after the tranny has 100,000 miles on it. One of them told me he had seen transmissions with 100,000+ miles on it develop problems immediately after transmission fluid & filter changes, so be sure to get this done first.

Shop around for the price of this service. In my area, prices vary a surprising amount.
Suprising enough the previous owner has all the service records and had a tran flush/filter change at 72,000 good luck for me i guess?

Also when you clean the throttle body, will it struggle to start at first? and seafoam as well? 1 bottle in gas and 1/2 in oil and the brake booster vacuum?

Quick Reply: General Maintenance