Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Gearing up for suspension work - any suggestions?

Old 11-15-2016, 11:54 PM
Old-n-Cranky

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Gearing up for suspension work - any suggestions?

2004 F150 Lariat, 4x4, Extended cab, 5.4 Triton

I've been gearing up to do some suspension work on my F150. It's close to 150k miles, so it's coming up on time to R&R the parts.
I'm replacing all brake parts, ball joints, tie-rods, shocks and struts. I've been gathering the parts over the past few years.

I've already purchased most of the suspension parts (Moog).
I only use Motorcraft OEM for brake parts.

I've been reading the forums on the LCA job. It seems either the caster/camber bolts will come out peacefully, or they won't. I don't plan on removing the lower control arms unless I absolutely have to. If my C-clamp/press can't get the ball joints out, I will have to remove the LCA's and use my 30-ton floor press. Maybe I should just remove them anyway, I'm not sure yet. As the old saying goes.. sometimes you just have to wait until you get there before making a decision!

Are there any other suggestions, issues or parts I should be on the lookout for? I'm not in a big hurry to get the job done. With any luck it will be in the next few months.

Thanks again for this fantastic web site and all the excellent advice from everyone!
Old 11-16-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I'd recommend you go to the parts store and get a loaner ball joint press for free and also the tierod kit.

Also, break the inner and outer tierod free before you remove the outer tierod. If you remove it first, it sucks and you get no leverage.

Don't forget the sway bar links.

I don't see why you'd need to remove the LCA if you're just putting in new ball joints, coilovers and tierods.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:10 PM
Old-n-Cranky

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for your reply..
I agree... no reason to remove the LCA... I'm just looking ahead for a "just in case" scenario. I try to anticipate all situations, etc. My F150 is my main rig, so when it's down, I am limited on getting around - thus the reasons to think ahead and try to anticipate all issues.

I wish my C-clamp/press was hydraulic, but it's not. It works, but sometimes it can take a lot of 'oomph' to get those joints to move. If for some reason I can't get them to cooperate, then I'll have to use my floor press. I also thought about renting or borrowing a press as you suggested. I don't know what kind they rent... hydraulic I hope? If so, then maybe I'll do that first. I really don't want to fuss with removing that LCA!!

And thanks for the tip on the tie rods! Been there and done that on a different rig, so I understand what you mean.

Thanks,
Old 11-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Ford Guy

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stankyjeans
Thanks for your reply..
I agree... no reason to remove the LCA... I'm just looking ahead for a "just in case" scenario. I try to anticipate all situations, etc. My F150 is my main rig, so when it's down, I am limited on getting around - thus the reasons to think ahead and try to anticipate all issues.

I wish my C-clamp/press was hydraulic, but it's not. It works, but sometimes it can take a lot of 'oomph' to get those joints to move. If for some reason I can't get them to cooperate, then I'll have to use my floor press. I also thought about renting or borrowing a press as you suggested. I don't know what kind they rent... hydraulic I hope? If so, then maybe I'll do that first. I really don't want to fuss with removing that LCA!!

And thanks for the tip on the tie rods! Been there and done that on a different rig, so I understand what you mean.

Thanks,
Just seconding the advice above. I did exactly what you're doing two weeks ago. I rented the press as described from the local Autozone and it was more than enough to get those lower ball joints out. The press is just a beefy c-clamp with some fittings to account for the ball joint stud. A regular clamp won't work without some significant tinkering.

Just a suggestion, I ended up doing my upper ball joints/control arms the very next weekend because I noticed quite a bit of play when I had the steering knuckle off to do the lowers. You might consider doing the uppers as well when you're in there at the same time.

Search this Thread