Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Gearing/lift problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing/lift problem

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this but, Just finished getting the 4 in. Rancho lift installed along with changing the gearing to 456 for 35in toyo's.
A few miles down the road the rear end failed. Turns out that Yukon says the ring/pinion was defective somehow and replaced it NC and no other damage done. All was fine for a day and now there is another rattle/grinding noise from the front this time. It is not the same type of sound since the rearend noise was obvious and you could feel it. The front is a lighter sound that only happens when applying gas and not always. It is not as rough and there is no vibration felt. As soon as I take my foot off the gas it stops and when going down hill there is no problem even at 55mph. It also doesnt seem to happen in 4 wheel drive. The truck spends about a third of the time off road and in 4 wheel. All the suspension seems tight & sounds good.
Question is, has anyone had any issues like this with Yukon gearing or does anyone have any ideas what this may be if not the gearing or any suggestions on what to try. My truck is an 08 screw w/5.4. Other than this problem the truck is great.! Sorry for the long story but I'm gettn frustrated.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:39 PM

i have nothing but good to say about yukon,i have installed hundreds of gearsets from them in various vehicals over the years,sounds to me like the shop you went to did a crap job,odd they say they were defective.....defective in what way? the difference between setting up gears right or wrong is 100kms or 100,000kms.yukon and richmond are always top quality that i have seen. when noise is heard on the coast side it is normally installed wrong, i could get into it deeper but my post would be as long as yours.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:36 AM

The noise you mention sounds similar to a noise which i heard the day i got my truck back from getting the lift installed. Similar circumstances and all. Turns out it was the drive shaft rubbing on the heat shield. So they took a pry bar and pryed it away from the drive shaft afn the noise quit. Might give that a look.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by f1filthy
i have nothing but good to say about yukon,i have installed hundreds of gearsets from them in various vehicals over the years,sounds to me like the shop you went to did a crap job,odd they say they were defective.....defective in what way? the difference between setting up gears right or wrong is 100kms or 100,000kms.yukon and richmond are always top quality that i have seen. when noise is heard on the coast side it is normally installed wrong, i could get into it deeper but my post would be as long as yours.
Yukon acknowledged the problem was their product and replaced the gear.
Noise only happens when under load-when applying gas.

Quick Reply: Gearing/lift problem