Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Gear Selector Adjustment

Old 06-21-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Gear Selector Adjustment

I had my 2006 F150 transmission rebuilt close to 2 yrs ago. Not long after, I would have to start putting upward pressure on the gear selector while in Park to get it to turnover and start. So the linkage or something was loose and activating the safety switch to allow it to start.

So it didn't know it was in Park and wouldn't let you start it. It has gradually gotten worse and now I have to put it in Neutral to start it.

Anybody mess with the adjustment on these or have a similar problem?

Will this be an adjustment made down by the gear selector at the transmission?

Thanks,
JP
The following users liked this post:
RocketBill82 (06-17-2021)
Old 06-21-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by jp4lsu
I had my 2006 F150 transmission rebuilt close to 2 yrs ago. Not long after, I would have to start putting upward pressure on the gear selector while in Park to get it to turnover and start. So the linkage or something was loose and activating the safety switch to allow it to start.

So it didn't know it was in Park and wouldn't let you start it. It has gradually gotten worse and now I have to put it in Neutral to start it.

Anybody mess with the adjustment on these or have a similar problem?

Will this be an adjustment made down by the gear selector at the transmission?

Thanks,
JP
I had to do this to my 02. I don't know if the 11th gen has the same linkage under the dash or not. The video says it does. Basically you have some one help you. APPLY E BRAKE and shift into neutral (I did mine with the truck off) then tighten the loose bolts under the dash then shift back into park. Try starting it. This fixed mine and I never had another problem for 4 years until I sold it. https://youtu.be/sq4wi4xRKRg
Old 06-21-2016, 10:35 AM

Thanks SG, I'll give it a try.
Linkage in the dash makes sense, because it is just a safety switch it seems that isn't getting tripped while in park.

I was changing my trans filter this weekend and saw the selector linkage by the tranny and thought I should try adjusting from there.

Then wisdom kicked in and thought about the potential of jacking up the gear selection adjustments.

Unfortunately I was lacking wisdom and focus when reinstalling the trans pan because I forgot to put the freshly cleaned magnet back in the pan. So I'll be under the truck tonight wasting 3 qts of Royal Purple Max ATF to put the magnet back in.

Maybe I can just put a super strong ring magnet on the outside of pan. LOL!
Old 06-22-2016, 02:46 PM

So the youtube video that SG posted was for previous gen F150/Expedition and it is a different setup than the 2004-2008 gens.

So I'm still searching on how to adjust the gear selector so that the truck will start in Park.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by jp4lsu
So the youtube video that SG posted was for previous gen F150/Expedition and it is a different setup than the 2004-2008 gens.

So I'm still searching on how to adjust the gear selector so that the truck will start in Park.
Dang, I wondered about that but the video says 92-14 so it was worth checking out. Ill have to do some looking and see what I can find.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:06 AM

Yeah it seems to be totally different. I think I might take the column cover off behind the wheel and see if I can get a better look.

From the best I can tell, it doesn't have a linkage that runs along the column, but it is a cable. But I don't see an adjustment.

There was a 2nd cable attached to the shifter that had an adjustment wheel, so I started turning that a good bit, but all it did was move the orange gear indicator back and forth and didn't affect the Park safety start switch.

I'll keep digging. Since this started after I had the Trans rebuilt, I'm wondering if there is an adjustment underneath.
-JP
Old 06-23-2016, 09:27 AM

I have a console shifter so I'm unable to look at mine to help. Kind of surprised nobody else has chimed in. There might be a sensor involved somewhere too but I don't know beyond the linkage deal. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To properly adjust the gear selection at the transmission you have someone put the selector into drive and hold it down. Other person gets underneath and pops the white clip upwards to release it from the rail. Manually put the transmission into drive and fasten the clip back down on the rail.

That should align the shifter steps to the transmission gears.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gear Selector Adjustment