Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

gauge cluster swap ? (ive searched)

Old 05-14-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default gauge cluster swap ? (ive searched)

i have an '08 screw and while having the instrument cluster out and apart for an l.e.d. bulb replacement
the cluster managed to get run over while laying on the driveway. the truck wont start without it and ive found a cluster on ebay from an '07 with a v6 and "standard tranny"
would that directly plug and play swap no problems?

thanks!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:44 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I guess the search was broke, or you did not go back far enough. I did a write up awhile back on this. Here's that link:

https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...hlight=cluster

That 07 cluster will work. Just be sure that the truck it came out of was not a Lariat or a King Ranch, as those two models had the "Automatic Climate Control", and that will prevent your Air Conditioning compressor from turning on if your truck has the "standard Air Conditioning" (three dials in the center dash).

Since you said this cluster is from a truck that had a V6 and manual transmission, that tells me it was an XL or STX model.

Make sure it has a tach; in late 05, the STX models could get the 6-speed manual, and they used the XLT cluster (it had a tach), minus the temp and compass feature of the XLT.

You did not mention your "model" truck (i.e. Lariat, STX, etc). You did say it was a "screw", so that rules out the XL. Be aware that the lower right "display panel" in the instrament panel may not show certain readings, such as "DOOR AJAR" , as these were specific to certain models.

But yes, the gauges will work, the truck will start (PATS system moved to the ECM located in the engine compartment).

Your mileage will not be correct; whatever the mileage is on the replacement cluster is what will be displayed. You can have this flashed for about $150.00, or maybe less.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And the dealership will flash it? How do i go about doing that? Do i walk in with the new one in my hand or install it first?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Depends on what you want "flashed" and where you live....

Most high end speedo shops can flash your mileage. I've been quoted $150.00 for this service; others have found it to be less. Pick up your local yellow pages and call around. The cluster must be out of the vehicle.

The equipment needed to flash these clusters (whether it's the mileage or the "information display") is expensive, and local dealerships shy away from it. It's cheaper for them to send off your cluster, or to buy one already done and install it in your truck.

As to dealers offering this service, I have yet to find a Ford dealership in Texas that will flash MY PURCHASED cluster. They will sell me a replacement cluster only, flashed with my mileage, and the cluster must be the same type (example: STX cluster replaced with an STX cluster only). My local Ford dealership will not sell me any other cluster for my STX other than an STX.

The speedo place that flashes mileage I found requires a a statement from me that the mileage I asked them to flash is correct. This had to be stamped by a notory. He was just protecting himself from mileage fraud.

Others have had better luck finding a dealer that will flash a cluster that was purchased from Ebay, etc., but I've also read where there has been difficulty getting the features (primarily for the "information display") flashed.

Bottom line: mileage flash is not a difficult deal; most speedo shops can do this. If you have one local, you can hand carry your cluster. It has to be out of the truck; otherwise you will have to ship it off (keep your old cluster installed; your truck will not start without a cluster). Getting your trucks "features" flashed, so that the little "information window" works is another thing. For example, the XLT cluster is a great replacement for an STX, as the XLT has a tach. However, the XLT's "information display" shows a compass readout, and outside tempurature reading; the STX does not. When the XLT cluster is installed in a STX truck, everything works (air conditioning, cruise, gauges), accept the information window displays a bunch of dashes (-----) for the compass and tempurature reading. Also, the STX would display "DOOR AJAR" in the information display; this does not work in the XLT display when installed in an STX.

I live without these. I've had an XLT cluster in my STX for over 6 months now. No problems.

If it were me, I'd stay away from Lariat and King Ranch clusters for the time being unless they are going into Lariat and King Ranch trucks. These two clusters are specific to trucks equipped with the "automatic climate control" air conditioning. If your truck has the manual air conditioning (3 center dash dials), then your air conditioning compressor WILL NOT OPERATE if you install one of these clusters in a truck with the manual air conditioning feature. There is a guy on another forum (as well as myself), that is trying to get this feature disabled with a re-flash. So far, there has been no success. The other guy took his Lariat cluster to a Ford dealership that had the cluster flash equipment, and they have not been successful yet in getting the lariat cluster to accept another truck models data. All attempts to date have failed to override the air conditioning problem.

I'll keep those interested posted if this changes.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 05-14-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

K i gotta hit the yellow pages! I have the FX4 cluster in my STX and i need to take it back out to get flashed... and if anyone wants the STX cluster with the tach hit me up.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks, btw mines an xlt with the 3 valve 5.4
Old 05-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by navytrev
K i gotta hit the yellow pages! I have the FX4 cluster in my STX and i need to take it back out to get flashed... and if anyone wants the STX cluster with the tach hit me up.
I PM'd you about that cluster...it would be good for my further testing of cluster swaps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gauge cluster swap ? (ive searched)