Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

gauge cluster calibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry gauge cluster calibration

so i finally broke down and took my cluster apart to take the green out...i put in the blue leds which looks pretty good...PROBLEM...when i took it all apart i was an idiot and didnt mark where the needles were.!!!!! ! is there anyway to get my gauges calibrated? or would it be worth it to just buy a new cluster. i have been looking at the fx4 cluster which since i know how to change the led the right way now so it would be an easy mod on that new cluster. or if there is a cheap way to get it calibrated i might just keep this one. im also not too happy that the led doesnt shine through the factory needles. so if anyone knows where to get some better led or how to make the led shine through the needle that would be great also!!! thanks...sorry for the long babble...
Old 11-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Blue is a "soft" color, so getting it to do anything to the needles in the way of making them glow is not going to be successful (you already know that). I guess you go with the "cool" factor, pr practical factor.

LED's are "what you get"; no way to increase their lumination. Increasing the amperage will only burn them out.

I have no clue as to the calibration of your gauges. On my 84 VW Vanagon, I calibrated it the old fashined and time consuming way; I pulled off the needle, spun the shaft to pre-load it's spring (using needle nose plyers), then took it for a ride in a parking lot riding side by side with my son in his car. I got it within about 1 MPH, so I left it that way.

Look up a speedometer shop in your yellow pages (or google one online for your area) to get it done professionally.
How did you get past the green film of the dash lights? Did you dis-assemble the gauge cluster and remove it? You mentioned doing it a different way with a new gauge cluster. Care to share your findings?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:54 PM

ill post a new thread with pics right now.check em out.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with autoinstruments.com and see if they can recalibrate the gauges. I know that they can refurbish, rebuild and recalibrate older dashes. Prices seem to be reasonable too.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:56 PM

will check into that! thanks!!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

PULL ALL THE NEEDLES OFF, PLUG IN THE GAUGES (IF YOU WATCH THE GAUGES, THE NEEDLES WILL DIP, THEN REST AT THEIR FINAL SPOT AFTER A FEW SECONDS, THEN YOU PLACE THE NEEDLES IN THEIR SPOT, TO GET THE FUEL RIGHT DO IT WHEN THE LOW FUEL COMES ON, OR WITH A FULL TANK. THE TEMP, AND VOLT REALLY DON'T MATTER TOO MUCH, JUST AS LONG AS THE NEEDLES ARE IN THE FINAL SPOT BEFORE PUTTING THE NEEDLES ON. I USED FINGER NAIL POLLISH ON A Q-TIP AND RUBBED THE TWO LAYERS OF COLOR OFF THE BACK OF THE FILM. I USED A FORK TO POP OFF THE NEEDLES. THE TROUBLE WITH THE BLUE LED'S IS THAT THEY BLOCK OFF THE RED LIGHT, SO THE NEEDLES WONT GLOW.... BUT WHITE OR BLUE WILL. I'M GOING TO CHANGE MINE TO THE WHITE FACES GAUGES( W/BLUE GLOW BACK GROUND) THEN INSTALL WHITE #74 LED'S AND THEN THE RED NEEDLES WILL WORK FINE. I'M WAITING FOR MY LED'S TO COME IN SO THAT I CAN FINISH THE DASH SWITCHES, AND THE RADIO. I'VE DONE ALL THE DOORS, HEADLIGHT, PEDAL ADJUST, PASS AIRBAG, SHIFTER, A/C CONTROLS. STEERING WHEEL, 4X4 SWITCH AND RADIO ARE NEXT. THEN TO THE WIFES ESCAPE, SHE LIKES MINE SO MUCH SHE WANTS HERS DONE.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:15 AM

man youre a good husband... sounds like too much work to do all over again! unless you get paid to. haha
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 PM

Default reverse glow gauges

how do i hook these up. and without using the switch and dimmer that came with it i bought it off ebay that company sucks they don't send instructions does any one have instructions they can email me xmdinc@yahoo.com and do i need to change the bulbs too can someone help me
Old 03-25-2017, 03:41 PM

Default gauge cluster lights

Originally Posted by nineinchranger
so i finally broke down and took my cluster apart to take the green out...i put in the blue leds which looks pretty good...PROBLEM...when i took it all apart i was an idiot and didnt mark where the needles were.!!!!! ! is there anyway to get my gauges calibrated? or would it be worth it to just buy a new cluster. i have been looking at the fx4 cluster which since i know how to change the led the right way now so it would be an easy mod on that new cluster. or if there is a cheap way to get it calibrated i might just keep this one. im also not too happy that the led doesnt shine through the factory needles. so if anyone knows where to get some better led or how to make the led shine through the needle that would be great also!!! thanks...sorry for the long babble...
How did you remove the green film on the back of you cluster face? I put in blue led lights in mine but it doesn't shine like I would like it to because of the green film.

Quick Reply: gauge cluster calibration