Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Gauge Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Gauge Cluster

I own a 08 f150 reg. cab and i only have a mph,gas,volts,oil pres.,and temp gauge,but i would like to have one with a rpm gauge,and something tells me if i got one with one it wouldn't be as simple as a plug and play thing lol,does anyone know what would have to be done to make it work??
Old 08-11-2009, 12:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it should just be plug and play, however if you got a warranty i would only let the dealer do it. if it was me, i would just get an edge tuner and use that, get a tad more power and will have your tach, etc etc
Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordman08f150
I own a 08 f150 reg. cab and i only have a mph,gas,volts,oil pres.,and temp gauge,but i would like to have one with a rpm gauge,and something tells me if i got one with one it wouldn't be as simple as a plug and play thing lol,does anyone know what would have to be done to make it work??
I did a large writeup on cluster swapping awhile back for 2004 to 2008 Ford F150's. If you search, you'll find it. The readers digest version is that you'll be best to use a cluster out of an XLT, FX2/4, or one from an STX that had a tach (not all STX models had a cluster with a tach). STAY AWAY from clusters out of a Lariat or King Ranch, as these models have "auto climate control", which activates the AC compressor via an inside cab temp sensor that routed through circuitry in the cluster. Installing one of these model clusters in your manual AC truck (one equipped with center dash dial type switches) will prevent the AC clutch from turning on. The small yellow LED will light on the "AC" button, but the AC clutch does not come on.

In testing the XLT and FX2/4 clusters in my 2005 STX, I found that both worked just fine, with the exception of the dome lights; they do not turn on when the doors are opened, nor will the "door ajar" appear in the clusters display panel. The XLT's display panel came with an outside temp display and compass; these too will not work in your truck unless you add them (requires a new rear view mirror with the compass module on it, and the temp sensor that is located on the hood release bar in the engine area). I lived without these to gain a tach. Your call. I currently have the XLT cluster in my STX; cluster is identical to the XL or STX with the addition of a tach.

My recommendation for a cluster in your XL (I assume that's what you have): either the XLT or FX2/4 cluster.

One last thing: your mileage will be that of the new cluster! It can be flashed, but that will cost you to have it done. Most Ford dealerships do not have the expensive unit to do this. There are speedo shops that will do this, but the cheapest we have posted here was around $100.00 to 150.00 plus shipping the cluster to them, inless you find one local.

Or, just find a cluster that has it's mileage close to what yours is now.

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster