Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas mileage?

Hello forum...

To start I bought a used 06 f-150 xlt with the 4.6 about 3 months ago.
I love the truck! It has 102,000 KM or 65,000 miles on it. I've done some
minor modifications to this truck since owning it. I'm not sure if what I've
done so far is making my fuel economy worse. Heres a run down so bare
with me please.

I made the mistake of dropping in a K&N filter before getting a base line
on the mileage per gallon. I also made the mistake of oiling the already
pre-oiled filter! I know stupid. The map sensor freaked out so I read on
here how too clean the sensor and erase the codes on the computer. I washed and reoiled the filter as per the instructions. My mileage after that with a mix of city & highway winter driving was 14.6 MPG. The next tank was all city and I got 11.8 MPG. Now this is winter so I thought warming it up in the morning and using it in 4-wheel drive might be why. I then did the air box modification. I forgot the name of it. But you remove the end of the cold air intake. The snorkel that goes threw the fender and replace it with a piece of 3" abs pipe. The weather has been better here and my last tank with no 4-wheel drive and none of the warming up the engine netted me 11 MPG. Because I was checking my mileage I was driving very conservitaly. Is this the mileage I should expect from this truck? Seems like low MPG too me. There are no other modifications done to this truck so far. Stock 17" wheels. I'm in Canada so this is based on the Canadian gallon. I've been looking at purchasing the Edge evolution programmer as I plan on towing this summer.

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-07-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hello Canada

I also have a 2006 4x4 with the 4.6L engine (also with about 65K), air filter and gotts mod. I have been calculating my mileage, and I seem to average between 10 and 14 miles per gallon. I do mixed city and highway driving, much of it pulling a utility trailer. These calculations, however, are done using the mileage on my truck which does not accurately represent the miles actually traveled. I have 35" tires and have yet to get the computer reflashed, so it reads between 4 and 8 mph slower than actual speed. I know my actual speed thanks to the GPS mounted in my dash, but it notably (and negatively) effects the mpg calculation.
Yours does seem to be a little low for everyday personal use; maybe its time to get a tune up or fuel injector service, or whatever else the other people on this forum will suggest. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

See this post: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/stop-be...l-links-42829/

Your MPG is typical. My winter city MPG is 10.8 mpg or so. Highway i have seen 16.7 to 17.2 on this current tank. Performing modifications for the sole purpose of increasing MPG is not a good way to go. Earning back the money spent is not practical nor quick.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Uh, yeah

Sorry - in my last post, I neglected to factor in the winter environmental factors effecting your truck and its fuel consumption. I am here in sunny South Florida, so these things slip by me pretty easily. As posted, refer to those who have more experience in like conditions. Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Your mpg seems low to me. I have a '06 4x4 s-cab with the 4.6. It came with the previous owner's K&N filter, but otherwise is stock with original tires, etc. Even with my IWE hubs engaged all the time (I'm eventually going to track down what's leaking and fix it), I'm getting better than 15 mpg in town and 18 (avg 65 mph) on the highway. From Atlanta to Birmingham two days ago cruising at 80 mph I got 17 mpg... with the hubs engaged.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage?