Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Garmin On/Off with Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Garmin On/Off with Car

I'd like the main cigarette lighter (below dash) to turn off power when the car is off. Is this possible?

My goal is to leave my garmin GPS on the dash at all times, so when I turn the car on, it will come on, and when I turn the car off, it goes off. right now I feed the wire behind the dash, out by the foot peddles and plugged into the cig lighter. Any ideas?

- Cody
Old 05-01-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you can easily wire the cig lighter to turn on and off with the truck. you will need to run a wire from a good 12v source (preferably the battery) to a relay. then from the relay to the lighter and then ground it out. then you will need to find a 12v switched source and run a wire from there to the relay and then from the relay to the ground. now when ever the truck is turned on, the lighter will come on, and when the truck is off, the lighter will be off
Old 05-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

easier way...

splice into your radio's ignition wire (closest switched wire to the cig lighter) for power instead of the the always hot power wire...its only going to activate when your in the acc/run/start mode of the ign switch, and not when in the off position
Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbetty
easier way...

splice into your radio's ignition wire (closest switched wire to the cig lighter) for power instead of the the always hot power wire...its only going to activate when your in the acc/run/start mode of the ign switch, and not when in the off position
That's where the wiring harness for my Magellan plugs in. They actually have a T connector (no splicing) that goes between the factory wiring harness and the radio, but I doubt they sell it separately. If I leave mine on it turns on everytime I start the truck.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:34 AM

Talking

just use a scotch connecter if you need to tap in.

Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
That's where the wiring harness for my Magellan plugs in. They actually have a T connector (no splicing) that goes between the factory wiring harness and the radio, but I doubt they sell it separately. If I leave mine on it turns on everytime I start the truck.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard these are a hot item to get stolen....why would you want to take that chance of loosing it by making it permenant?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Striper Swiper

Originally Posted by Ranger2F150
I heard these are a hot item to get stolen....why would you want to take that chance of loosing it by making it permenant?
my thoughts exactly.... unless it is hard wired in and in the dash....it is an invitation to every crack head to smash your side window and make off with your goodies....
Old 05-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

i keep my livewire out sometimes....havent had one person lift it yet and its been about 8 months
Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Striper Swiper

Originally Posted by blackbetty
i keep my livewire out sometimes....havent had one person lift it yet and its been about 8 months
you probably just jinxed yourself
Old 05-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Goombah Stomper

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by barecove
you probably just jinxed yourself
x2

keep a bat under the seat to bash some heads if someone comes near ur truck!

Quick Reply: Garmin On/Off with Car