Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

FX4 Rides like a dump truck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default FX4 Rides like a dump truck!

Hey guys, I have a 2006 FX4 crew with 168000 kms on it.
The ride seems to get worse every time I drive it. I have replaced the rear springs due to sag (the new ones are slightly better for payload). I have also replaced the rear shocks. It seems like something is loose or worn in the rear but I can't track it down. The front also rides rough but no where near the rear.
Any suggestions on where to look, what to replace?
Thanks!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of tires do you have? And what psi are they set at
Old 04-15-2012, 07:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My lariets the same way in the front. Rear is smooth but the front really thumps over bumps. Do you have a leveling kit in there that could be slamming on. I know thats what made mine rough
Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 PM

Unhappy

I do have a leveling kit in front and shorter shackles in the rear. I also run duratracs but I have had the tires and leveling kit for a while now and the ride seems to be getting progressively worse.
I don't know what to try now.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:19 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

1: Your Springs are stiffer in the rear.
2: Your leveling kit causes a rougher ride.
3: Your DuraTracs are E-Load Range tires and naturally ride rough. My DuraTracs have always been rough it couldn't have just started.

It's the beast of making your truck look the way you want. Nothing much you can really do except return to stock or get different tires and softer springs.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 521 Likes on 293 Posts

At that mileage it's also time to start thinking about a front end overhaul.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not personally own one of these but I am considering picking a pair up. Great reviews from the site and read a few post on the forum suggesting them...
https://www.sulastic.com/Default.aspx
Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seeing as your name is Bomberfan and your mileage is in KM, is it safe to assume your in WPG? or at least in MB? If that is the case chances are your truck is fine, our roads are progressively getting worse and I'm not kidding, almost launched the Girlfriend off the back of my Kawasaki the other night.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AppalachainQ
I do not personally own one of these but I am considering picking a pair up. Great reviews from the site and read a few post on the forum suggesting them...
https://www.sulastic.com/Default.aspx
Gotta love ingenuity! But I wonder how long the rubber parts last. Maybe it should be hydraulic instead of rubber. Interesting product, though.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
1: Your Springs are stiffer in the rear.
2: Your leveling kit causes a rougher ride.
3: Your DuraTracs are E-Load Range tires and naturally ride rough. My DuraTracs have always been rough it couldn't have just started.

It's the beast of making your truck look the way you want. Nothing much you can really do except return to stock or get different tires and softer springs.
Actually the springs in the rear of these trucks are pretty soft thats why they squat so much under load. With my quad in it it sits pretty low.
I have had the leveling kit for two and a half years and it really didn't seem to stiffen the ride.
I have had the duratracs for a year and a half. They did stiffen up the ride somewhat but it didn't ride like it does now. Also there is noise in the rear like a clunk or something. This is not tires.
As for the front end, I have had it checked out and it is in good shape. The noise seems to mostly come from the rear.
Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: FX4 Rides like a dump truck!