Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default FX cluster install in an STX

As some may be aware, I've been working on the myths and truths of swapping clusters for some time. Yesterday, I installed an FX cluster into my 2005 STX model; here are the results:

1) All guages function
2) Air Conditioner works
3) All cluster "idiot lights" work (I.E. turn signal indications, etc)
4) Mileage and trip mileage work (albeit the mileage is that of the donor)

What does not work:

1) Compass and outside temp readings (Don't have the compass feature, but I did install an outside temp sensor, and it still did not appear in the display box).

2) Dome light/"door ajar"/odometer gets bright do not work when door is opened.

So, the FX cluster works just like the XLT cluster. Personally, I can live without the dome light coming on, as the map lights still work, and I can turn on the dome light with the dimmer switch. I may even connect the dome light to the bed light, as that comes on and stays on for a few seconds when the door is opened/shut should I feel the need for a delayed dome light.

2005 F150 STX Regular Cab (4.2 liter V6)
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bucko For This Useful Post:
Ifireman87 (03-26-2013)
Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
2005 F-150 5.4 4x4
5 Year Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Nice job. I really like the FX4 clusters. How much did it run you?

F150 05 5.4 XLT, Nitto 295/70/17, Dual Flowmaster, Gryphon w/ Custom Tunes
K&N CAI, HBS 2 1/2 Level Kit, Blackout Heads w/ Philips X-treme Power Bulbs, Tinted Tails & 3rd Light w/ LED's
XPerties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPerties View Post
Nice job. I really like the FX4 clusters. How much did it run you?
Deal of the century....Found it on Ebay from a used parts place (A.K.A. junkyard) for $84.00 plus $15.00.

The key is to know the part number and two letter value for the FX cluster, as the picture they posted was a "general pic" of a cluster (noted on the picture). When I "opened" the item, it had the part number and "CN" which is for a FX cluster.

I posted the Ford F150 2004 to 2008 cluster part numbers last week and the two charactor suffix for all models except King Ranch.

In my opinion, the FX cluster has the sharpest layout. I thought the XLT was nice, as it is "simple black" backround, and simple areangement guages. After installing this FX cluster last night, it gives the interior a bit more of a sporty look. Nice arrangement of the guages too.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
5 Year Member

Send a message via AIM to ford4wd08

sweet nice info thanks for the report, i liked the look of the FX4 cluster too but theyre pricey, and i found a XLT one with almost my exact mileage, so didnt have to worry about a reflash, on a side note, when did you become a MOD?
ford4wd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
5 Year Member

Almost a week now.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Paint it black
5 Year Member

Send a message via AIM to blackbetty

a reflash will fix the mileage correct?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #7
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
a reflash will fix the mileage correct?
Correct, assuming you find a place to do it for a reasonable price. As reported, several members here and on other sites stated the called Ford dealers up and down the east coast to no avail. My dealer in Dallas told me the equipment to reflash costs around 15 grand, that's why they don't do it; no market. I've found two speedometer repair shops that will do it; one wanted 400 bucks, the other wanted 250 bucks. This is more than what any average "joe" pays for the cluster, so you can guess that it doesn't get done.

I did do some more investigation in my schematics book last night pertaining to the temp dispplay. My STX has the "ambeint temp sensor" harness at the front radiator grill area, but I never traced it. Acording to the Ford factory schematics, this harness connects to C211, located by the fuse box, then runs to pins 13 and 12 of the left side cluster connector. I'm going to trace this to see if perhaps the STX (and FX) models are missing this fuse box to cluster comnnection. I do not see any other circuitry or black boxes in the schematics in order to make the temp display show up. I'll report back my findings.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
Correct, assuming you find a place to do it for a reasonable price. As reported, several members here and on other sites stated the called Ford dealers up and down the east coast to no avail. My dealer in Dallas told me the equipment to reflash costs around 15 grand, that's why they don't do it; no market. I've found two speedometer repair shops that will do it; one wanted 400 bucks, the other wanted 250 bucks. This is more than what any average "joe" pays for the cluster, so you can guess that it doesn't get done.

I did do some more investigation in my schematics book last night pertaining to the temp dispplay. My STX has the "ambeint temp sensor" harness at the front radiator grill area, but I never traced it. Acording to the Ford factory schematics, this harness connects to C211, located by the fuse box, then runs to pins 13 and 12 of the left side cluster connector. I'm going to trace this to see if perhaps the STX (and FX) models are missing this fuse box to cluster comnnection. I do not see any other circuitry or black boxes in the schematics in order to make the temp display show up. I'll report back my findings.

could it be as simple as putting a fuse in the slot? maybe it already wired up everywhere and just needs a fuse, i dont know why they would run all the wiring for it and not hook it up....
Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Paint it black
5 Year Member

Send a message via AIM to blackbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko View Post

where are you getting the diagrams?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
where are you getting the diagrams?
he has the shop manuals.... he got them off ebay a while back
Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 AM