Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

FX 2 2007 Drivers Side Door Wiring Harness Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default FX 2 2007 Drivers Side Door Wiring Harness Replacement

Need to replace the wiring harness drivers side door. Looking for tips to ease the pain of this and where I can buy a new one at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the help folks

Bill Butler
Old 05-12-2015, 08:13 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Great. No replies. I have the same issue, & was looking for help/ idea's. Did you splice broken wires or replace the entire harness. I don't see where the wires lead once inside the post & how far I need to dig to find the connection where they plug together.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why do you need a new harness?
Old 05-14-2015, 12:50 AM

Most of the wires have the insulation cracked in more than 1 place. If I splice each of them together I don't think the wires will fit in the boot. multiple wires with multiple breaks.

Think opening & closing the door in the extreme climates is taking its toll. Plastic insulation is brittle & not very flexible anymore.

I spliced 2 wires that were completely broke, & working fine for now, but it looks like it has been spliced at least once before.

Think the next time it might just be easier to unplug & replace the whole ball of wires. There is quite a handful. Power heated-folding-dimming-mirrors, power windows locks etc. speakers? not sure what they are all for but could be 20 or more wires.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:27 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Depending on the year, the door harness wiring has a plug that snaps into the harness at the door jamb, making this a real easy swap.

I believe this started in 2006? My 2005 had a wiring harness that passed through the door jamb, but my 2007 has a plug that connects to its "receiver" at the door jamb.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:26 AM

Thumbs up Wiring Harness Splicing

Well I pulled my harness back through the door and solder spliced each broken wire. There was 10 of them that had to be repaired. I was going to replaced the whole harness but it cost $2500 for the harness and you have to take half of the truck apart to put it in. So I spent 16 hours fixing then took the truck to my Ford Dealer and bought a new Platinum. Problem solved for $65,000.

This is a major job but if you like challenges and do good work this is kind of a fun project.

Good luck

Bill
The following users liked this post:
KingRanchZombie (01-19-2017)
Old 05-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by wbutler
Well I pulled my harness back through the door and solder spliced each broken wire. There was 10 of them that had to be repaired. I was going to replaced the whole harness but it cost $2500 for the harness and you have to take half of the truck apart to put it in. So I spent 16 hours fixing then took the truck to my Ford Dealer and bought a new Platinum. Problem solved for $65,000.

This is a major job but if you like challenges and do good work this is kind of a fun project.

Good luck

Bill
Kind of fun spending $65K?
Old 05-16-2015, 08:57 AM

Thanks for updating on your original post Wbutler.
My harness (2007 King Ranch) doesn't have a plug right inside the pillar, so it must go inside, deeper. $2500 sounds a bit extreme for a wiring harness, I would probably do the same thing and repair the wires too. It would make it a lot easier if I could just unplug each end, & lay it out to work on it.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:53 AM

Default Wiring Harness Splicing

I also subscribed to AllData truck manuals on line to see if I was doing the right thing and if there was a way to do this easier. No Luck. It is also a bit of a challenge to get everything unplugged in the door to pull the harness back through the jam boot. But with some patients and a little effort you will get it out to where you can work on it.
Here is what I did once I got to my problem and exposed the broken wires.
I bought several rolls of wire to match the size that I needed to splice.
Then I spliced in a piece about 4inches soldering each end.
Before I soldered I slipped over the existing wire a piece of Heat Shrink about 2inches longer than my splice. Put the heat gun to it and sealed it up nice. It was a nice neat job.
Then I folded the splices back onto themselves and tapped them tight into a nice neat bundle.
Fed the plugs back into the door and plugged everything back in. Bingo worked like a charm. Went and go $65,000 from my wife and bought a new truck. Problem solved
This is not a difficult job just fiddly, trying to get things unplugged where you can;t see etc. A nice challenge though

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Glassman82 (10-07-2016)
Old 05-17-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

If you have 10+ wires that are exposed in several places then something in the door doesn't seem right. I have an 06 and have had to splice in 2 wires from them being cut in half from opening and closing the door but 10 is a lot. Do you have a pull-a-part near your house ? I would never pay "$2500" for a wire harness.

Quick Reply: FX 2 2007 Drivers Side Door Wiring Harness Replacement