Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fuse blows, ABS light comes on, A/C stops blowing cold.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Mustang Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuse blows, ABS light comes on, A/C stops blowing cold.

I'm trying to help a co-worker who is having a problem with his truck. He has a 2006 supercab F150 with the 4.6 liter. A 15 amp fuse in the passenger kick panel fuse box blows about once or twice a week. He has been replacing it for the time being, but now wants to find and fix the issue. When the fuse blows, the ABS light comes on and the A/C stops blowing cold. Before I start pulling relays and chasing wires, I was wondering if this is a common issue with a common fix. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Mustang Addict

So... not a common problem then?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Which 15 amp fuse is it??? Can you identify the fuse number from the owners manual?

This way we can identify (or you can) as to what circuits are on that fuse, and begin troubleshooting there (looking for a shorted wire on any of the circuits which are protected by that fuse).

Could it be that your buddy spliced some accessory to that circuit? Again, if you can identify which fuse number that 15 amp fuse is, we can help.

Don't have a owners manual? Then go here and download one for free:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

And DO NOT INSTALL A LARGER FUSE RATING IN THAT CIRCUIT!!!! You could cause one of the circuit(s) to overheat the wiring and start an electrical fire.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Mustang Addict

Originally Posted by Bucko
Which 15 amp fuse is it??? Can you identify the fuse number from the owners manual?

This way we can identify (or you can) as to what circuits are on that fuse, and begin troubleshooting there (looking for a shorted wire on any of the circuits which are protected by that fuse).

Could it be that your buddy spliced some accessory to that circuit? Again, if you can identify which fuse number that 15 amp fuse is, we can help.

Don't have a owners manual? Then go here and download one for free:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

And DO NOT INSTALL A LARGER FUSE RATING IN THAT CIRCUIT!!!! You could cause one of the circuit(s) to overheat the wiring and start an electrical fire.
I'll pull the manual out and get the number for you soon. Can't download the manual at work. The truck is bone stock, so a spliced accessory isn't the culprit. Don't worry, I wouldn't dare up the fuse amperage. I've been working on/around cars for years. I was just hoping this was a common issue. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Mustang Addict

OK, so it's fuse 14. In my truck, there is a 10 amp fuse in that slot. Don't know why there was a 15 in his, but he tells me the dealership replaced the fuse after it popped (he didn't even know where the fuse box was when he asked for my help). I assume the dealership upped the amperage hoping that it would keep it from popping again. VERY bad idea. So, has anyone else lost fuse 14? If not, I'll be chasing wires tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Mustang Addict

Tearing my hair out. The trouble is, it doesn't blow every time the fuse is hot. It takes a few days each time, so I can't even chase wires to find the problem. Frustrating...
Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Mustang Addict

Last bump, I promise. So no one else has had this issue?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask him if he has changed anything electrical recently. In my last truck (04 ranger) I had a fuse blow everyday. It was the fuse controlling all of the dash lights, so I basically drove around in the dark for months. After days in the heat tracking wires I discovered it to be a LED that I had installed into the havoc controls. For whatever reason it was sending current backwards and popping the fuse. Goodluck on your search man, I know it's a pain.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Mustang Addict

Darn. Truck is bone stock with no electrical modifications. Without being able to reliably get the fuse to blow, I can't chase wires, so it looks like I'm going to have to send him to a mechanic. Sucks. Usually I'm pretty good at solving automotive gremlins, but this one just requires too much time.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a long shot from a thread so long ago, but I am having the same issue with my 2005 f150. Did you ever get an answer? I've blown 3 fuses *edit on Circuit 14 *end edit* using standard 10A fuses in the last week. It will work fine for a day or so, but always seems that when it goes it is during startup. Not during driving.

Quick Reply: Fuse blows, ABS light comes on, A/C stops blowing cold.