Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel smell

Old 05-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel smell

I have been gone for awhile and had to reregister. Anyways I had my spark plugs changed at the dealer at about 95k. Everything went well. I started noticing a fuel smell from the heat vents shortly after. I took the truck in and the gave me some bull about it being the oil burning off and it would go away. They tested the fuel pressure and no bleed off was detected and said injectors were fine. Well the problem has not gone away and I am taking it back. If you drive it for awhile and shut it off go into the store and start it back up a strond smell comes through the vents. I left it idling with my wife inside the other day and she almost got sick. If you turn the heat vent off you can't smell it so it is definantly coming from the engine compartment. Any Ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

My bet is they didnt torque the plugs down right and one or more backed out. Bring it back and tell them to tighten the plugs. This is common actually after plug changes.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Thanks, after I posted I did a search and that seems to be common. Thanks for your response.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 PM

I'm having the same problem on a truck I just bought. Seems to go away after it warms up. Very annoying.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Animal Hoarder

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I replaced to plugs on my truck myself and about 6 months later I got a strong gas smell in the cab and a ticking noise. I thought it was lifters so I took it to Ford, still under warranty, and they put lifters and rocker arms on the left bank. Noise was still there. There explanation was that my engine was so sludged up that oil couldnt get to the lifters and I would need a new engine soon (but the warranty wont cover that becasue its considered neglect.) Anyways I left the dealership in disgust and lived with it for awhile.

Then I found someone on here had the same issue and they said it was from thier spark plugs not being torqued... Low and behold my #4 plug was just barely loose. Now me being a certified mechanic myself I felt like an idiot... but then again I didnt try to replace it with a new motor.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Well took it to dealer again. When I mentioned internet he laughed and said he didn't want to consider it. I told him to re torque the plugs and he sort of laughed. I had an attitude and told him to fix it. Well guess what. The no. 7 plug was a little loose so they tightened it to spec and finally I have a truck I can drive. Frickin Ford Techs.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They know everything...
Old 05-11-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by ellis4pa
They know everything...
ha ha clearly.

Glad they got ya fixed up though gotshot. Dealers can be a pain in the butt sometimes though.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 AM

I pulled my plugs yesterday and found the culprit. Gas/exhuast smell is gone, rough idle is smooth now. Two of the plugs were finger tight.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel smell-truck-024.jpg  

Last edited by cajunnittanylion; 05-13-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM
JNelson

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well after reading this thread and getting a little bit of time I decided to check out my plugs. I had a bad ticking that had been getting worse but I assumed it to be phasers. I actually have phasers and a timing kit bought to take care of that. Well about a month ago I got a fuel smell in the cab. I eventually stumbled onto this thread a few days back and decided to check them because the stealership changed plugs and a few other things about 11 months ago when I bought the truck. The number 2 plug was backed way out. I torqued it down and used some di electric grease. Checked the front two on both sides (ran out of time) and that was the only one but I plan on checking the back four. My "ticking" decreased big time and whats left I still believe to be the phasers. Sorry for the long rant but I couldnt of had a bigger smile on my face when I started it up. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
galaxie289 (11-08-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel smell