Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

fuel pumping going bad? video attached

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default fuel pumping going bad?possibly transmission video attached

I have started hearing this whining noise that matches tone and speend with the rpm. Its getting louder and louder everyday it seems. At first I just dismissed it as a small exhaust leak but as it got louder it doesnt have the "puffing" sound an exhaust leak has. Ive been under the truck and looked and listened and its defintly near the rear of the cab/front of the bed. under the hood is almost silent(way to go ford!) I am bad about going from full to empty in my gas tank almost every tank so the pump probly isnt cooled as well as it should, also its the 30 gallon tank and if you take off with some purpose below an 1/8 of a tank it will suck air. listen to the video and let me know what you think. If it is the fuel pump how long am i looking at until replacement? or should i just order one so i dont get stranded. it idles fine, pulls good through all rpms so it doesnt seem like its being stared of fuel.

Last edited by Rubicon35; 01-13-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:06 PM

28 views and no input! lol
Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i cant help ya , but nice video, that should help someone tell you what the problem is. I think i may be having a similar problem, except the sound goes away after awhile, maybee mines on the verge of going out, and yours is dam near dead, no idea really though, good luck!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:15 PM

To me it sounds like a power steering pump whine but since you said its not under the hood that can not be the case. where is your camera placed? is that the rear tires or front that are in the video? The fuel pump would not be that in sync with the rpms of the engine. It turns at a completly different rpm then the engine but does kick up pressure as needed when you hit the accelerator to compensate for fuel demand. Are you sure its not coming from under the hood? Try having someone else rev the motor and listen to the power steering pump. It it really does not emit from the engine bay your next thing would be looking at trans. I really doubt its fuel pump noise, On my past eperiances with fuel pumps they either die or work.

Last edited by ussoldier1984; 01-13-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:33 PM

its at the rear tires. its not the powersteering bc even at idle its whining and under the hood its very quite. I kinda thought trans as well but even when im not driving it whines. i have like 2k miles left on my powertrain warranty should i take it to ford and tell them the tranny is making funky noises?
Old 01-13-2012, 03:05 PM

even when your not driving the trans is moving with the rpm of the engine. could be torque converter that spins the exact rpm as the engine. I would take it to them if your still under power train warrenty. too bad you dont live closer I have a spare fuel pump that we could swap out and test to be sure.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:05 PM
s_vares

Received 430 Likes on 84 Posts

Oh that doesnt sound nice.
Transmission? gonna have to lift it and start with a screwdriver

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2012, 03:07 PM

I was ok with a 300 fuel pump! damnit! you guys have me worried now that its transmission. yuck
Old 01-13-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My truck had a whining noise. My first guess was the transmission. Turned out I was right, the transmissions pump went out. But I doubt its what's wrong with your truck. Cuz when I had put my truck in gear sounded like a giant thud sound.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:28 PM

the tranny has acted funny sometimes as well now that i think about it. 3-4 times now during downshift it just revved on me. it also takes 3-5 minutes of driving for the torque converter to lock up in 4th gear on the highway. hmmmmmm. its going in on Monday

Quick Reply: fuel pumping going bad? video attached