Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel Injectors take another toll

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injectors take another toll

I was on shift this morning, and I heard one of the other guys going off about his truck. He drives an 05 XLT 5.4L, and was thinking of seriously selling his truck. I asked about what was going on, he said that on his way back from a job site yesterday, his truck locked up, and wouldnt turn back over. He called for a wrecker, and headed to a Ford Dealership in Nashville, bc his truck is still under warrenty. Later that day, the rep called and said his motor had hydro-locked, and he needed a new motor. He had 2 options, either buy a short block and use existing parts for $3200, or a new motor for $6500. When asked what caused the motor to hydro-lock, they had blamed in on either the injectors, or injector pump. He had been there twice before b/c of the same problem. First time, it went out. Second time, it wouldnt produce enough to keep the motor at idle. This time around, they said it stayed open all the time.

He asked if I had the same problems, I said naw, mainly bc I have the 4.6L. I told him all the problems I had read about the 5.4L, and he stated those were the problems that he had faced lately. At the time I bought my STX, I wished for the 5.4L, but now looking back, with almost 70k, I'm glad I didnt.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:52 PM

if his truck is still under warranty then why would he have to pay so much? Just curious.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:16 PM

i agree there is no reason for him to pay anything especally if its and injector issue? please ford would have taken care of that.Im not sure hes has warranty left if they are talking prices with him cause its liek a 500 deductable on the warranty,
Old 11-15-2007, 09:02 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

man - you guys are scaring me away from the 5.4L if and whenever I do decide to upgrade.

As far as the current issue - what kind of warranty even gets into the 4-digit out of pocket cost? I suggest to wave and then to stuff the BS-flag right up the dealer's nose.

Perhaps I'm getting too far removed out of the loop - just what is an injector pump on a gas engine? Know they're on oil-burners, haven't heard of the term for gas engines.

Is there further damage identified? And with the previous history with the dealer, surely there would be some responsibility on workmanship?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason the dealer would make someone pay through the nose for a repair is if the damage occurred in a way to void the warranty. Did something happen to this truck to cause this damage?
Old 11-16-2007, 02:24 PM

I'm not to sure, but he acted like he was going to have to pay for it either way. I'll find out more sunday morning when I see him next. But the way I heard it, his injectors stayed open all the time. What I could gather they stayed wide open all the time. But I'll see what he says and let yall know.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:00 PM

If its the 3rd time he has had trouble with it, shouldn't it fall under a lemon law? Its still only 2yrs old
Old 11-18-2007, 07:17 PM

UPDATE!: Ok, I got off this shift this morning, and I talked to the guy about his truck. What had happened was his injectors stayed open all the time, even when @ idle, and at full-throttle. I asked about his warrenty, and his ran out @ 36k, now his truck is @ 46k. He also stated that he met with a lawyer and is trying to find out about a "Lemon Law." He called and talked to a head of customer assistance with Ford, and they pretty much bs'd him the whole time. When his truck "hydo-locked", it shot a rod out, and they went back and said he'd have to get a whole new motor. That the existing parts were of no count. So, to all the 5.4L guys, watch yourselves.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. Did he have any signs before this happened. I have the same motor and I dont want this happening.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 AM

Hey told me that it didn seem to want to idle. When he had it checked, thats when he noticed the injector problems.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injectors take another toll