Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel Injectors?? Fuel Pump??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Injectors?? Fuel Pump??

Looking to do an E85 swap on my truck. I need to know what the output of the stock injectors, and pump is. If any one could help that would be great! Thanks
Old 09-02-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Are you also going to change the PCM and all the fuel lines for E85 along with the injectors and pump? I'm assuming you've done the cost analysis for the shorter oil change interval, lower mpg's, etc for the price of E85. Stock injectors are 19# but it would be easier to swap the entire system from a wrecked truck if you're dead set on doing it.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Animal Hoarder

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I thought I heard somewhere the Flex vehicles also have Stainless Steel valves.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Otto, where are you getting this information? Why would my oil change intervals have anything to do with the fuel that I'm running? I'm not going to have to change any fuel lines... Y'all realize the fuel you pump into your trucks now contains ethanol right? So that being said the stock lines have to be able to with stand it. E85 isn't that much more expensive than 91 Octane, if it all, in my area. My gas mileage will drop maybe 10% saying that it has drops the amount that the countless Subarus my buddy has swapped over. The only thing other than bigger injectors and pump that I would have to do is get the truck tuned for it, which I would need anyway due to running bigger injectors... E85 is not as scary as every one makes it out to be. A lot of people did little research on it (if any) to form their opinions. Then you also have people like Otto just saying whatever and people take that for fact. The main advantage of E85 is that it burns colder much like race gas, but for a helluva lot cheaper, allowing me to run more fuel, and advance the timing giving me more power. That is the reason for the swap, nothing to do with MPGs, or the price of gas, or to save the environment. Just like any other modification that y'all are doing to your trucks it 100% to get more power....

Now that's out of the way... Does any one know the output of the stock injectors, and the stock fuel pump? 19 pounds sounds wayyyy too low, it should be somewhere closer to 30.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

The fuel lines and injectors wold most certainly need to be changed to run E85. The fuel lines you have in your truck aren't rated for E-85, and will more than likely corrode and break down after a while. If there was no difference in the lines, why would Ford run 2 different fuel lines? It would be cheaper for them to just have one fuel line assembly.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 AM
kanga2311 FISO

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure your truck (5.4L?) Isn't flex fuel? A lot of them are, I believe. Look under the hood, it may say FFV. But on that note, my engine runs a little smoother on premium without ethanol. I wish we had 87 without ethanol around here.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 05F150XLT
Otto, where are you getting this information? Why would my oil change intervals have anything to do with the fuel that I'm running?
My information comes from years of experience with these trucks and system, used oil analysis of these motors, and Ford's recommendation. If you look at the manual of a flex fuel F150 (it's page 307 of the 2007 model year) it states that if a vehicle is run on E85 more than 50% of the time it needs to follow the severe service maintenance interval. This recommendation is based on the different end products that ethanol produces verses gasoline hydrocarbons. TBN (total base number) tends to be reduced faster due to the acidity of the using higher ethanol consistently.

I'm not going to have to change any fuel lines... Y'all realize the fuel you pump into your trucks now contains ethanol right? So that being said the stock lines have to be able to with stand it.
Ford did put different lines on the flex fuel vs. non flex fuel vehicles. The lower concentration of ethanol doesn't have as much of an effect on plastics as it does at 85%. I am well aware of the E10 mandate in the US.

E85 isn't that much more expensive than 91 Octane, if it all, in my area. My gas mileage will drop maybe 10% saying that it has drops the amount that the countless Subarus my buddy has swapped over. The only thing other than bigger injectors and pump that I would have to do is get the truck tuned for it, which I would need anyway due to running bigger injectors... E85 is not as scary as every one makes it out to be. A lot of people did little research on it (if any) to form their opinions. Then you also have people like Otto just saying whatever and people take that for fact. The main advantage of E85 is that it burns colder much like race gas, but for a helluva lot cheaper, allowing me to run more fuel, and advance the timing giving me more power. That is the reason for the swap, nothing to do with MPGs, or the price of gas, or to save the environment. Just like any other modification that y'all are doing to your trucks it 100% to get more power....
I don't recall saying anything bad about E85. I simply asked if you had thought everything through about the choice, which I see you have done some research. The original goal was not stated in your post.
If you stay here long enough you'll find many look to conversions such as these for mpg gains, which we have to play devil's advocate if they haven't done a full analysis. MPG threads are countless on this site, so saying every mod is all for every last bit of power isn't always the case.
E85 does have a higher octane and will produce slightly better power. I would look to things like forced induction if I wanted better power but that's just me. I don't expect everyone to take what I say as gospel, but over the years I hope I have helped many people and that people draw their own conclusions.

Now that's out of the way... Does any one know the output of the stock injectors, and the stock fuel pump? 19 pounds sounds wayyyy too low, it should be somewhere closer to 30.
I do have to correct myself. The stock injectors for the 5.4L for the 04-08 motors is 24#s, I looked at the wrong spec sheet and I note my mistake. The stock fuel pump rate is pretty vague. Most of the time we measure it by power output, which the stock pump is good to ~450hp before the pump becomes limiting. Over that power level it is usually suggested to get a 255lp.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injectors?? Fuel Pump??