Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel Gauge Wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Fuel Gauge Wire

I just bought a 2006 F-150 that didn't have a working fuel gauge for at least three years. Previous owner (a friend) was quoted $1200.00 to fix. I spent a few days freeing up the bed bolts with heat underneath at the nuts and welding nuts to the TP45 bolts. (I cut off the nuts and ground everything back smooth)
Once I got the bed off I was able to check the sending unit. I removed it, tested it with a multi-meter and found it to be perfect. Since I am a high school auto teacher I had some time when I removed the sender so I bench tested it. We found 150ohm resistance at full and about 10ohm at empty. (don’t quote me on the numbers, I was only looking for scale movement).
I then started tracing the wires for the fuel sender. The two wires I was looking at were the Yellow with White stripe and Black with Orange Stripe at the four wire connector at the sender/pump unit.
I found a broken red wire near a black box about 1.5” X 3/4” X1/4”. This box had five wires;
1) the broken red wire
2) the yellow/white from the tank unit
3) the black/orange from the tank unit
4) the yellow/white to the gauge
5) the black/orange to the gauge

I downloaded a wire schematic and it shows a FLEX FUEL AC/DC converter in the wire system. I studied it and decided to cut out this black box and wire the two corresponding wires together. ie: yellow/white to yellow/white and black/orange to black/orange.
I then cut out the red wire and taped it up.
This cured my issue. I now have a functioning fuel gauge and it cost me $0000.00 dollars.
I immediately told my friend, the previous owner, and rubbed it in. ☺
The following users liked this post:
jt351 (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 12:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had a customers truck come in with gauge stuck at zero. I didn't find any bad wires but I spliced wires as you said and worked right away. I researched the function of it, kinda stupid, I guess it converts the dc signal from dash and changes it to an ac voltage going to sender to reduce corrosion when running e85. I did a quick search and found your post. the a new dc/ac converter thingy is over a 100$, 2 crimps was alot cheaper
Old 05-18-2018, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jt351
I just had a customers truck come in with gauge stuck at zero. I didn't find any bad wires but I spliced wires as you said and worked right away. I researched the function of it, kinda stupid, I guess it converts the dc signal from dash and changes it to an ac voltage going to sender to reduce corrosion when running e85. I did a quick search and found your post. the a new dc/ac converter thingy is over a 100$, 2 crimps was alot cheaper
(newbie here...) Is this the connector under the drivers side door on the frame rail? My gauge is stuck on e, drops below e when powered on. I cleaned the gunk from this connector and it worked for a day. Cleaned it more thoroughly but no go this time, but I may see an issue with a couple black spots on the connector. Im wondering if I can splice the wires before and after the connector to bypass it.
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2018, 02:18 AM

Default Stuck gauge, think its wiring

<br />(newbie here...) Is this the connector under the drivers side door on the frame rail? My gauge is stuck on e, drops below e when powered on. I cleaned the gunk from this connector and it worked for a day. Cleaned it more thoroughly but no go this time, but I may see an issue with a couple black spots on the connector. Im wondering if I can splice the wires before and after the connector to bypass it.<br />Thanks!
Old 12-11-2022, 05:58 PM

What is the gauge size for the yellow wire?

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Wire