Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel Gauge isn't working

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge isn't working

Hello Everyone,

I will do my best to explain this, but basically about 9 months ago my gauge slowly went bad. When I would turn on the vehicle it would read correctly, but gradually overtime the gauge would bounce from over Full and under Empty while the truck was running multiple times.

Eventually it just bounced to below Empty and my check engine light came on and had a code saying it was the Fuel Pressure Sensor or the Fuel Pump. So I replaced the Fuel Filter and the Fuel Pressure Sensor (because they were cheaper fixes) and the issue still wasn't resolved.

I took it into Firestone and they said it was a bad Fuel Pump, but wanted to charge an arm and a leg to replace. So I went on Rock Auto and bought a fuel pump for a little over 100$ for an Ultra-Power Fuel Pump and installed it in the tank. It was then I noticed that the previous fuel pump was not the factory one and it appeared that one of the wires was burned in half (cut in half) on the pump, which led me to believe this is a re-occuring issue.

After replacement I got the truck started and the gas gauge red almost normal (The bobber in the tank is after market so I think its reading incorrect at about 3/4 when its full). It's been about a month and today I started it and it read below Empty when I know I have a 1/2 tank. The check engine light hasn't come on yet, but I feel it coming. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Is it a short somewhere or a power surge causing the wire to overheat and separate? Any help is appreciated and sorry for the long message.

Also this is a 2006 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew 5.4L 4x4

Last edited by cowles1016; 07-11-2016 at 09:12 PM. Reason: more information
Old 11-11-2016, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truck has been hauled to a parking/holding facility in this picture, wouldn't have been hauled with the side sticking out like that, truth remains, NTSA calls the new F150 the only truck to ever receive a five star crash rating, GM trucks are marginal and dodge has the most dangerous trucks ever tested

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge isn't working