Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel filter change on 2004 Lariat

Old 08-29-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Fuel filter change on 2004 Lariat

Just replaced the fuel filter on my 2004 Lariat at 134,000 and this might possibly have been original factory filter. Old one was Motorcraft and I don't remember having it done at a dealer. I used Fordtechmakuloco YouTube video for removal and tips as a reference guide and it went exactly as planned. One thing I noticed on the new Motorcraft fuel filter FG-986B part is that it is stamped made in USA! I used one of the metal scissors style line disconnect tools on outlet line and it was stubborn but did come off. It sat stationery in driveway for two days before change so no pressure was in lines but there was about 1/2 cup I guess fuel that did come out of lines in my plastic pan I used to catch. I used another tip I saw and stuck the open end of inlet line up into a small cavity in frame above it to keep it secure and from draining any more until I reconnected. The residue that came out of the filter later after I inspected the old one was filthy - brownish fine sediment and liquid. It was very much in need of change. Easy job that probably took 15-20 mins start to finish. I can't tell a difference at all in way truck runs but It did need to be done.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Easy $6 maintenance item. I plan on doing it yearly. I change mine at 101k when I bought the truck in March - likely the original too. I hung the filter with the outlet end up and what looked like coffee drained out the inlet side. Inverted the filter from that position, and clear gas came out the outlet, so the filter was filtering!

+1 on the frame hole trick.

Also, anyone reading thinking about doing this without the $14 disco tool from autozone, don't even try.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel filter change on 2004 Lariat