Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front wheel scraping noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel scraping noise

Ok,I checked the other posts and couldnt find the noise that describes the one im hearing.So Im sure you guys are sick of this question but I have no choice. Three times this week when I was pulling out from a stop and making a left turn I hear a noise in the front left wheel that sounds like dragging an aluminum lawn chair on the street,almost like a scraping sound.Its not what I would call a grinding sound.Today it was the worse,really loud and lasted about 10 seconds till I could turn onto another road and stop.Now Im not sure if it stopped as I was making the turn on the other road or when I applied the brake,it was about the same time. I didnt get a chance to go out and pull the wheel off and I would also like to know what im checking for,I am a do-it-yourselfer as long as I know what im doing.It is a 2005 4x4 with only 60,000 on it.Brakes were replaced last year and it was recently inspected,I am also wondering if something wasnt put back on right at the garage.I am a little strapped on money,like most other people ,and cant really afford taking it in to get checked. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by shuptyler; 07-21-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:15 AM
-brad

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

put the truck on jacks, run the engine, spin the wheels, (with pedal, not by hand) andd maybe crank wheel left and have a buddy under truck identifying where sound is coming from. Thats where i would start. use a stethascope (spelling?) to determine where sound is coming from if not obvious.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a lift or something?

I have a similar problem and is the rack and pinion, which is not a typical problem as that part normally don't go bad that quick.
Things to check
Level of the steering fluid, if low, add more (is ATF)
You can remove some to check with a turkey baster and replace with new as a way to change it periodically.
Raise the truck to have the front tires free.
Press in the sides, top, bottom, check for play. Most likely none, but if some, could be rods, wheel hub steering, etc.
Try to reproduce the noise turning the wheels manually from side to side.

In my case, the problem always happen when turning to the right, and we had been able to reproduce it while driving with the engine on and off, which discards power steering problem. (close circuit don't try that at home)

In my case, part is 300$ ($800 if you want a workshop to do it) before going ahead and trying removing some fluid and adding Lucas rack and pinion fix fluid.... $10. Not really a believer but worth the try.

Hope it helps.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:35 PM

Check you wheel bearings as well, a quick and easy way is to try and shake the wheel with 2 hands.

You said it was a 4x4? Check you're IWE seleniod and 4x4 vaccum system. You could have a leak cause 4x4 to be engaged at all times. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/836438-everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-iwe-system-and-then-some.html
http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/360269-iwes-removal-replacing.html
The first is for troubleshooting the vacuum 4x4 system. You need to. The second is in case you have to replace one or both IWEs. Maybe...
The following users liked this post:
sking0621 (02-07-2018)
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Caliper bolts....
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
Caliper bolts....
This happened to me one morning heading into work. Bolt came clean off leaving my caliper mount hanging for dear life. 3 bucks at the ford house with lock tight already applied.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 PM

Well I finally think I figured it out. Took off caliber and seen the rotor was scraping on the caliber itself as I made left turns! Leaving obivous marks on it and the top of the inner brake pad as well. So im pretty sure it was the bearing/hub assembly,I changed it on sunday evening and It hasnt done it yet.It almost had to be that,I dont know what else it could have been.I didnt see any cracks or splits on rotor or caliber anywhere and also all the bolts were tight not leaving any slop anywhere.I will keep you guys posted after I give it a few more days. I hope this fixed it.Thanks for all the help and pointers!!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 PM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by shuptyler
Ok,I checked the other posts and couldnt find the noise that describes the one im hearing.So Im sure you guys are sick of this question but I have no choice. Three times this week when I was pulling out from a stop and making a left turn I hear a noise in the front left wheel that sounds like dragging an aluminum lawn chair on the street,almost like a scraping sound.Its not what I would call a grinding sound.Today it was the worse,really loud and lasted about 10 seconds till I could turn onto another road and stop.Now Im not sure if it stopped as I was making the turn on the other road or when I applied the brake,it was about the same time. I didnt get a chance to go out and pull the wheel off and I would also like to know what im checking for,I am a do-it-yourselfer as long as I know what im doing.It is a 2005 4x4 with only 60,000 on it.Brakes were replaced last year and it was recently inspected,I am also wondering if something wasnt put back on right at the garage.I am a little strapped on money,like most other people ,and cant really afford taking it in to get checked. Thanks for any help!
Im going through the same thing with my 04 fx4. I made a thread on changing rotors and brakes but i guess its not the rotors and brakes it the iwe hub. Go down the road and when it makes the noise hit the 4x4 switch and see if it goes away if it does than you my friend have the same problem as me and can probably fix it by going to my thread ill try to post the link. if not its changing rotor and brakes
Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 PM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/replace...marrow-164521/

Quick Reply: Front wheel scraping noise