Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front wheel bearing????

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 04:00 AM
SVT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel bearing????

Ok, my front passenger wheel, started off as a squeaking sound which evolved into a constant loud squalling sound, which now is a Very bad grinding and wheel wobble.
So I disassembled the breaking system where I discovered : metal shavings lots, very uneven wear on pads, then; the break pad holder on one side was where I discovered the major culprit of the metal shavings on the inside on one side. SO THEN. I noticed the rotor was sitting on uneven, that's55554 when I realized that behind where the rotor sits (that's where I'm guessing those bearing are), the WHOLE SITUATION, is unbalanced, for instance when I put everything back together and tighten lugs down. While still on jack stands I can take the tire and just wobble it back and fourth.
So I prob didn't have to go through all that just to tell you the tire wobbles. I just wanted share my experience for one and TWO; MAKE SURE WHAT I AM CORRECT ABOUT IT BEING THE BEARINGS, don't know what else or could be. Any further insight would be much appreciated. HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE THOSE BEARINGS???
Old 12-27-2012, 05:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I did a little digging.. So for your 06 fx4 https://www.f150forum.com/f2/front-w...acement-99921/
third post down pretty much covers it. I'll see if i can find a little more detailed how-to or step by step.

Last edited by bubbafinch07; 12-27-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil LeGree
Ok, my front passenger wheel, started off as a squeaking sound which evolved into a constant loud squalling sound, which now is a Very bad grinding and wheel wobble.
So I disassembled the breaking system where I discovered : metal shavings lots, very uneven wear on pads, then; the break pad holder on one side was where I discovered the major culprit of the metal shavings on the inside on one side. SO THEN. I noticed the rotor was sitting on uneven, that's55554 when I realized that behind where the rotor sits (that's where I'm guessing those bearing are), the WHOLE SITUATION, is unbalanced, for instance when I put everything back together and tighten lugs down. While still on jack stands I can take the tire and just wobble it back and fourth.
So I prob didn't have to go through all that just to tell you the tire wobbles. I just wanted share my experience for one and TWO; MAKE SURE WHAT I AM CORRECT ABOUT IT BEING THE BEARINGS, don't know what else or could be. Any further insight would be much appreciated. HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE THOSE BEARINGS???
Can anyone translate this? I think he needs a new hub, though that won't cause misalignment of the brake caliper....

4x2 or 4x4?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced mine bc of bad bearings. Very easy fix.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 AM
kanga2311 FISO

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The bearings are pressed into the hubs. Some people will take off the hub and press in a new bearing, which is cheaper, but you need a press. Most people will just replace the hub, which I did, that also comes with a new bearing already pressed in. I believe the Timken hubs/bearings are about $300, and yes, it sounds like your bearings are very bad. Do not drive it at all (that was pretty obvious, though)
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by kanga2311
The bearings are pressed into the hubs. Some people will take off the hub and press in a new bearing, which is cheaper, but you need a press. Most people will just replace the hub, which I did, that also comes with a new bearing already pressed in. I believe the Timken hubs/bearings are about $300, and yes, it sounds like your bearings are very bad. Do not drive it at all (that was pretty obvious, though)
Depends on whether he has a 4x2 or 4x4. 4x2 replace the brake rotor (sounds like he needs to anyway). 4x4 replace the hub. Either includes the bearings depending on which truck he has.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

He has a 2006 FX4. It's definitely the hub. Also as VTX mentioned, time for a brake job.

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearing????