Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Front vibration

Hi, I am new. I have a 2005 F150 XLT, 4WD 5.4L

Recently, my truck has started to vibrate at highway speeds. I can feel it through the steering wheel, and it feels and sounds like it is coming from the drivers side front wheel. If I go around a right hand curve, the vibration and noise stops. It returns when I straighten out, and is present when I go around a left curve. Vibration and noise are consistent with vehicle speed, not engine speed. If I change gears and go to the same speed, the sound is the same.

At slow speeds, when I make a right turn, I hear a kind of clanging noise from the drivers side front wheel. Little to no vibration at city speeds.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

Last edited by Leafs; 06-14-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Speed Mach Go Go

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clicking noise is possibly a bad half shaft or bearings. Can you lift it and turn the right front tire and hear the noise? On my Honda I had to replace the half shaft but on the truck you can buy a bearing kit, assembly or whatever it's called and it includes the semsor. Bad bearings should shoot grease all over the inside of the rim and back side of the rotor dust cover.

Vibration at speed could be a defective tire or out of balance and possibly rotors that need turning or replacing. If it gets worse when you step on the brakes I would look towards the rotors.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

If it was present at all speeds I'd say bearing.

However, given the conditions as described, I'd lean towards a ball joint. DOn't drive it for long like this or you'll tear up tires and turn an expensive repair into a more expensive repair.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already rotated the tires, and it made no difference. Didn't see grease all over. Braking doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Front vibration