Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front speakers not working

Ive got a 2006 F150 SCREW. My front speakers just stopped working last week. Rear speakers are fine, havent changed or made any mods recently. Fade is set to balanced, no sound at all when put on front only speakers...

Held down preset 3+6. Got RF, LF open with a code of B2965 but dont really know what to check at that point. Is there a fuse for the front speakers? They worked great Sunday night, Monday morning they didnt work so it seems like it was something sudden.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

A quick google of your code pulled up a little info...it says "factory stereo speaker circuit failure"..."see factory manual." Sounds like it might be internal to the stereo. Which model stereo is it? 6 disc? Nav? Which trim is your truck?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
A quick google of your code pulled up a little info...it says "factory stereo speaker circuit failure"..."see factory manual." Sounds like it might be internal to the stereo. Which model stereo is it? 6 disc? Nav? Which trim is your truck?
Its a 6 disc, no navi, Lariat trim. I looked in the manual the other day for some direction but didnt find anything.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 PM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

There's quite a procedure for this... it could be a dead speaker in the front taking it out (i.e. water, etc).

I've attached a few files but pinpoint test C might be a help (the PDF). I've also attached below the "walk-around" test.

Hopefully some of this helps anyways. It's *REALLY* easy to access the front speakers if you need to disconnect them to test if that's the issue, so that might be a good starting point too. Disconnect one, see if the other comes on (key off, then on of course), if no good put that one back on and disconnect the other. Hopefully it's something simple.
Attached Thumbnails Front speakers not working-radio1.jpg   Front speakers not working-radio2.jpg  
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
johnny_tucson (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 05:13 PM

Thank you! Im definitely gonna give that a try when I get a chance. Could 1 speaker cause both of them to drop out? Would that cause it to say LF & RF OPEN?
Old 08-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by homer
There's quite a procedure for this... it could be a dead speaker in the front taking it out (i.e. water, etc).

I've attached a few files but pinpoint test C might be a help (the PDF). I've also attached below the "walk-around" test.

Hopefully some of this helps anyways. It's *REALLY* easy to access the front speakers if you need to disconnect them to test if that's the issue, so that might be a good starting point too. Disconnect one, see if the other comes on (key off, then on of course), if no good put that one back on and disconnect the other. Hopefully it's something simple.
I'm having the exact same problem in an 07 stx with the standard mp3 head unit. I tried all the steps there and I have no power to either front speaker so Im thinking I have a short somewhere (c3) wondering if you had any more information on that step or any advice?
Thanks!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Carpenter981
Thank you! Im definitely gonna give that a try when I get a chance. Could 1 speaker cause both of them to drop out? Would that cause it to say LF & RF OPEN?
Did you have any luck with yours?
Old 08-10-2014, 01:39 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry guys, I kind of disappeared for a bit!

The probably quickest spot to start.... On both front doors, pop the speaker cover off. It comes off quite easily and you don't have to take the entire panel off (unlike the rears on the supercab = which I have ). Unbolt both front speakers. Unplug one first, try it... if still no front sound, unplug the other and plug the one back in that you first unplugged, if no sound then the problem isn't there.

At this point (you need an ohmmeter before continuing to check for a short), unplug BOTH, and now you'll need to remove your deck. The deck comes out quite easily usually, just pull on the bezel (be careful, but it will come out). Remove the bolts for the deck, unplug your deck (you'll lose your presets of course). With the deck unplugged, if you have an ohmmeter, measure if there's any short at either speaker side. This will tell you if it's a short in the wiring.

In any case, I'm likely doubting it's the wiring... it's more likely in the deck.

I should have asked, are any of you running aftermarket speakers?

Last edited by homer; 08-10-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:56 AM

Hi I have 2005 Ford F-150 XL triton and the driver side front speaker quit working after I had the door replaced. I’ve already looked at fuses and took the speaker out and plugged it in on the passenger side and it worked so I know it’s not the speaker itself was wondering if anybody had any ideas
Old 01-12-2023, 01:13 AM

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Welcome.

Check the wiring in the loom going from the body thru to the door. Chafed wire(s) could cause a failure at the speaker.

Quick Reply: Front speakers not working