Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front and Rear Lockers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Front and Rear Lockers.

I have a 2007 F-150 FX4. When I get back from Iraq I am wanting to put some 285/65/R20 on the stock 20" Rims, a leveling kit, bullbar and I am looking into Front and Rear Lockers. I don't do any serious off road[ing], just taking it through the woods going camping; but I want the lockers because I live at the beach and the lockers would help for being in the sand. Any recommendations on good quality parts?
The following users liked this post:
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)
Old 08-30-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

you cannot run a full locker in the front on the street.

eaton e-locker for the front 8.8ifs.

They do not make a selectable locker for the rear 9.75.
Detroit(eaton) tru trac LS is the next best thing.

i have both of these and am happy with both
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)
Old 08-30-2011, 07:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong but on the front of the f150 8.8 reverse rotation axle they have vacuum locking hubs. When the truck is in 2wd the front wheels will free spin to limit the rotating mass. When 4wd is engaged the vacuum causes the hubs to lock in and the wheels to start pulling. So therefore if you have a Detroit, mini spool, ect... it should not effect the trucks 2wd street ability because the locker and front axle are not being used. I would not recommend it because of the turning capabilities will be limited. A selectable would be best if you plan on doing a lot of tight turns in 4wd.
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zac T.
Correct me if I am wrong but on the front of the f150 8.8 reverse rotation axle they have vacuum locking hubs. When the truck is in 2wd the front wheels will free spin to limit the rotating mass. When 4wd is engaged the vacuum causes the hubs to lock in and the wheels to start pulling. So therefore if you have a Detroit, mini spool, ect... it should not effect the trucks 2wd street ability because the locker and front axle are not being used. I would not recommend it because of the turning capabilities will be limited. A selectable would be best if you plan on doing a lot of tight turns in 4wd.
you are correct, but you have it backwards, the vacuum is active in 2wd to hold the hubs off and no vacuum in 4wd. this is why they grind in 2wd if there is no vacuum present.

if you drive in a snowy climate like myself and have the **** in 4wd from november to march, a selectable locker is required.
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)
Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 PM

I learn something new everyday thanks for the info. Has anyone tried the arb air locker in front? My father in-law runs the air lockers front and rear and he swears by them. My friend runs the e-lockers and had some issues with the silonoid locking up and not releasing the locker when he tried to disengage it.
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)
Old 08-31-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by schissler
you cannot run a full locker in the front on the street.

eaton e-locker for the front 8.8ifs.

They do not make a selectable locker for the rear 9.75.
Detroit(eaton) tru trac LS is the next best thing.

i have both of these and am happy with both
When you say I can't run a full locker in the front do you mean I can't have them in the front axle or cant have them on? I know that on the street's I can't have the front wheels locked because of how it limits turning. I just want to have them up there for situations when I get really stuck. Kind of like the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Just putting together a shopping list of parts I need to buy when I leave Iraq. If anyone has any reccomendations I'd appreciate it... I have been talking via email with ARB and I guess the way their lockers work is one switch turns on an air compressor, then you can engage the front, rear or both lockers if needed. I watched thier youtube demonstration video and it seems like a pretty solid product. They also sent me the Part numbers I would need to buy, I'll copy the email on here, if anyone can validate this information to be correct I would appreciate it.
--------------------
Hi Matthew,

Your truck should have the 28 spline version Ford 8.8" front and 9.75" rear axles. You will need Air Locker part numbers RD82 and RD150, respectively.

Best Regards,

Nils Bull
ARB Tech
nilsb@arbusa.com

ph. (425)-264-1391
ph. (888)-4ARB-USA
fax (425)-264-1392
www.arbusa.com

For a breakdown of Air Locker and related parts visit the ARB Air Locker Service and Parts Manual:
http://www.arb.com.au/media/products/air-lockers/0-00.pdf

Last edited by mdpilgrim; 08-31-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:32 AM

the great thing about arb lockers is you can upgrade your air compressor and have a small tank ( lets say in the bed or under the bed) and be able to have on board air witch is really nice when you have a low tire or out camping and need some compressed air. If you plan on running bigger tires i would look into changing the gear ratio because with the install of a locker you will be needing to reset the ring and pinion and if you have it apart its better to do it then.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM

sorry i meant you cant run with the front locked while driving in 4x4 on the street. well you can but good luck turning.

the arb should be good! and i like the idea of onboard air if needed.

i personally only wanted electronically selectable because compressors make condensation and freeze up during winter which could keep the diff locked/unlocked...and they dont make an elec one for the 975 rear..so i put in the tru trac which is great so far.

ask me how i know this ...2 friends body dropped trucks on air ride...stuck in the driveway for 3 days because they lowered them then the compressors and valves froze up the first day of snow! lol
Old 08-31-2011, 05:49 PM

where can I get a tru trac? Been looking but cant seem to find them.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mdpilgrim
where can I get a tru trac? Been looking but cant seem to find them.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...5589&t_pl=5459

OR if you dont' like 4wheel parts for whatever reason you may have... Pick your choice here in the next link

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...A_enUS366US367

Last edited by BUCKSHOT; 08-31-2011 at 07:22 PM.
o6S1D9e (10-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Front and Rear Lockers.