Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front hub trying to lock??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 04:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Front hub trying to lock??

I am up in the mountains right now and I drove down the the highway to get some supplies and when I was coming back up I went around a bend and I felt a strong vibration in the steering wheel so I started cranking the wheel left to right seeing if something was loose and didn't feel anything. Came to a stop sign and started going through and started feeling a pop in the steering wheel and front left tire. Almost like a flat tire but much worse. Tried goin in reverse and 4wd and still does it. Nothing looks bent or loose, tranny fluid is fine. Only thing I can think of is one of the front hubs is trying to lock or is seized up? Or could this be a tranny issue? All fluids have been changed in tranny, t case and diffs 5k miles ago. It's a 2006 lariat screw with 95k miles.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-29-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

If you have the ability to jack it up on all fours, check to see if its still in 4x4. The IWE system works on vacuum pressure to unlock the hubs, so you could have lost a line somewhere and it could be locking in a hub. But even if one hub is locked in, I don't think it should feel like that. I think your whole system is in 4x4
Old 03-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Probably not a 4WD issue if putting it in 4WD doesn't affect it. I would guess a problem with the brakes or wheel bearing. Best to jack up that corner and rotate the tire, feeling for resistance. Then remove the wheel and inspect the parts. I definitely would not drive it until you get the problem sorted out.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Problem solved. Replaced front struts the other day and the tire shop broke loose one of the factory studs (has 1" spacers bolted on) and the stud was dropping back into the hub causing it to bind up. But if you didn't get the broken stud to sit flush with the spacer without pushing it too far in, then it would cause the wheel not to mount flush. Took half the day and 3-4 times rushing to the side of the freeway to take the wheel off and re-mount it but she finally made it home safe!

Quick Reply: Front hub trying to lock??