Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front Hub Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Front Hub Assembly

A little while back I was going to post about my truck sounding like a single prop airplane. At first I had thought it was just the switch to winter blend fuel. That was back in November. Then when I was about to post, I started reading a lot of other posts about the hub assemblies. Things like "it sounds like running knobby tires". That's what it sounds like and since I'm running LT tires, I figure the bearings are the problem.

I have a few questions on this. I have a 2007 F150 screw 4x4 with a 6.5' bed and tow package. Usually I will go to fordparts.com and run my VIN to find the exact parts, then order from Rockauto. I couldn't find them on the ford site.

On Rockauto, they had 3 Motorcraft hubs, a 5 lug (no), a 7 lug (no) and one that shows 6 lugs but doesn't say it. It's HUB30.

Question 1: Is HUB30 the right ones for my truck?
Question 2: Is this the same hub for both sides?
Question 3: I watched a video for this and the guy ran a bead of "really good" bearing grease the length of the shaft before he slid the new hub on. What would be a "really good" grease for this that can be acquired at say O'Reillys?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes HUB30 is what you need and yes it's the same for both sides. If you want to save some $$ go with Moog 515079. I replaced both mine with Moog and no complaints. And you might want to replace the IWE as well while you got the hub off (Dorman 600105) As for bearing grease, I'm not sure what O'Reilly's carries but I've always used Lucas or Redline.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

"Really good grease", My favorite brand! That's what I use too... Anyway, Ford says "high temperature wheel bearing grease". The brand is up to you. Some say not to mix types (moly, lithium, etc). Honestly, I'm guilty of having used whatever I had on hand (high temp. type), and haven't noticed any problems with the "mixing". You can get more lube info here;

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1272691
Old 04-15-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to you both. I did order the HUB30 yesterday and should be here by Friday. I will write the Moog number in my notepad for future reference.

Quick Reply: Front Hub Assembly