Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front end vibration mystery

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front end vibration mystery

Hi folks. I have a 2005 F150 Supercrew 2WD 4.6V8. I developed a violent vibration in the front end and figured it was something like a bad alignment because I recently had the entire front end redone with new tie rods and all new joints. After replacing the tires and struts, it is still happening, although less violently. The tires are new and aligned, new struts, new front end joints, and yet I can't figure out the issue. The front brakes are a little worn but not in dire need of replacing. Pressing the brakes has no bearing on the vibration and neither does speed. The odd thing is that it is not something that always happens. It seems to occur at random. In fact, I dropped it with a reputable shop for a week and the mechanic could never get it to vibrate. Anyone had such an issue?
Old 05-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Wheel bearings ??
The following users liked this post:
Shanester (05-05-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Wheel bearings seem fine, but I may just have to pull them out for safe measure.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I may get banned for this, but it is a sad truth.... Ford Front End. That is what is wrong with it. No one makes a perfect car / truck. Etc. And the Ford trucks have a bad front end design. Google Death Wobble.... But, here are a few things that cause it you haven't listed as replaced already. Also Tires... even new ones are bad off the line, more often than you think.

Track Bar
Death wobble can most often be traced back to the track bar. The track bar's job is to locate the front axle under the truck. Because the track bar attaches at one end to the frame, and the opposite to the axle, it is subjected to significant loads as the steering and suspension cycle. Once any of its components have been compromised-such as bolts, bushings, or bracket welds and mounting holes-it can transfer vibrations and start the oscillations that eventually become death wobble. An adjustable, or upgraded track bar is always a good idea.

Drag Link
The drag link is the rod between the pitman arm and your knuckle. It's what transfers steering input from the steering box to the knuckle. You'll want to examine the drag link for signs of damage, such as bends, and the condition of the joints on each end. There shouldn't be any up-and-down play in these joints. Heavy-duty drag links and joints are available from several aftermarket companies.

And any bushing/ control arm, etc.

Last edited by cj152290; 05-04-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Shanester (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am looking at all leads.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cj152290
I may get banned for this, but it is a sad truth.... Ford Front End. That is what is wrong with it. No one makes a perfect car / truck. Etc. And the Ford trucks have a bad front end design. Google Death Wobble.... But, here are a few things that cause it you haven't listed as replaced already. Also Tires... even new ones are bad off the line, more often than you think.

Track Bar
Death wobble can most often be traced back to the track bar. The track bar's job is to locate the front axle under the truck. Because the track bar attaches at one end to the frame, and the opposite to the axle, it is subjected to significant loads as the steering and suspension cycle. Once any of its components have been compromised-such as bolts, bushings, or bracket welds and mounting holes-it can transfer vibrations and start the oscillations that eventually become death wobble. An adjustable, or upgraded track bar is always a good idea.

Drag Link
The drag link is the rod between the pitman arm and your knuckle. It's what transfers steering input from the steering box to the knuckle. You'll want to examine the drag link for signs of damage, such as bends, and the condition of the joints on each end. There shouldn't be any up-and-down play in these joints. Heavy-duty drag links and joints are available from several aftermarket companies.

And any bushing/ control arm, etc.

The DERP is strong with this one!
The following 2 users liked this post by Taildragger:
KCCOFox (05-11-2015), powerranger262 (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sway bar end links?
Old 05-05-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Taildragger
The DERP is strong with this one!
Not sure what I said that was DERP, but I will take it as a compliment, since you used a star wars reference.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

CJ, it is this reference;

Originally Posted by cj152290

Track Bar
You probably just cut a pasted that without knowing it.
powerranger262 (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

^^X2^^

Last time I checked the 2wd does not have a track bar or a drag link. It goes from the steering column to the rack and pinion.

I would check out the ebrake next time it happens. It will feel like a shake from the front end, had this happen on my last truck.
Shanester (05-11-2015)

Quick Reply: Front end vibration mystery