Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front End Rattle - Hubs? Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Rattle - Hubs? Bearings?

I have a 2005 F150 with 70k and hearing a weird noise from the front. It is difficult to determine if it is coming from the wheels or not. The sound is intermitant (usually just the left front but sometimes the right as well) and only when there is a little torque on the engine. The sound on both sides started at exactly the same time. The best way to describe the sound is that it sounds like an old pair of roller skates with metal wheels. As soon as I let off the gas a bit, sound goes away. Had it looked at and there was nothing leaking and everything up front looked tight. Sound became more consistent when pulling something.
Thanks!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 PM

Default Rattle

Is your truck a 4x4?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if your truck is 4x4, i would bet money the sound you hear is the wheel end, sounds like you have a leak in your system...could be the IWE solenoid, bad actuator...if it's a 4x2, could be the bearings
Old 07-14-2009, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fireman163
Is your truck a 4x4?
yes it is
Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by ATOM
if your truck is 4x4, i would bet money the sound you hear is the wheel end, sounds like you have a leak in your system...could be the IWE solenoid, bad actuator...if it's a 4x2, could be the bearings
it is a 4x4 - what is leaking? What is the process to confirm and fix these issues?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by brosenberg69
it is a 4x4 - what is leaking? What is the process to confirm and fix these issues?

Thanks!
the 4x4 system runs using a vacuum, a suction sucks in the IWE (intergrated wheel ends) when in 2wd and then when you turn the 4x4 on it releases the vacuum and the IWE slide into the hubs and 4x4 is in action....many things can be wrong---IWE solenoid could be shorting out, actuator rub could be cracked and is leaking, i would take it in and let the dealer tell you what is up, best way to find out what is broke, is to have the 4x4 system vacuum checked. that will tell you where and what is the cuplrit. my father in law to be's truck was experiencing a sound just like yours and the actuator was junk and needed replacing.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:09 PM

the 4x4 system runs using a vacuum, a suction sucks in the IWE (intergrated wheel ends) when in 2wd and then when you turn the 4x4 on it releases the vacuum and the IWE slide into the hubs and 4x4 is in action....many things can be wrong---IWE solenoid could be shorting out, actuator rub could be cracked and is leaking, i would take it in and let the dealer tell you what is up, best way to find out what is broke, is to have the 4x4 system vacuum checked. that will tell you where and what is the cuplrit. my father in law to be's truck was experiencing a sound just like yours and the actuator was junk and needed replacing.
I got a new IWE solenoid as it was only $27 which was a heck of a lot cheaper and bringing it to Ford and figured it was worth a shot. Has anyone replace one of these before. Looks very simple. Any special instructions?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 PM

yea it may be it...just unhook the battery, unclip the harness and hose, and then install in reverse. this is the new part with the shielding correct? i know the dealer in town tried to screw my father in law and i was nice enough to give him the service bulletin to show them while they were trying to give him the old part....ha ha
Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 PM

I have 1 2006 4x4 and I had a noise in the left front that would come and go. I took it to the local ford dealer and it was the wheel bearing and hub needed to be replaced. No noise since that was fixed.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 PM

yea it may be it...just unhook the battery, unclip the harness and hose, and then install in reverse. this is the new part with the shielding correct? i know the dealer in town tried to screw my father in law and i was nice enough to give him the service bulletin to show them while they were trying to give him the old part....ha ha
Well, I went ahead and exchanged it. Yes it has the sheild. I didn't unhook the battery but I don't think that should affect it should it? Either way, no luck. Still have the sound. Not sure what the next step should be.

Quick Reply: Front End Rattle - Hubs? Bearings?