Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front end Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front end Questions

I have a few questions about some moog parts for my front end that I will be fixing soon. First off
I have factory lower control arms and ball joints, would i be able to put the moog ball joint in there or do i need the moog control arms aswell? Part # for moog ball joints is MOOG-K80149
Upper ball joints, recently replaced with moog control arms and ball joints (non greasable) and those have already messed up. Can i put a moog ball joint in those aswell or do i need to buy another set of control arms with the grease fitting ball joints
Struts - I have a leveling kit on top of my struts/coils, 3", as well as the insert things in the coils for another two inches. This therefore puts my ball joints at an awful angle, would lift struts/coils help with this. If not i will just take the inserts out, because i think they are what is making the awful front end noise. What are some good struts that i could replace with? How do i know if i need to replace the coil as well?
I also have new moog inner tie rods but i have no clue where to get another boot from for them if i even need another one, or how to install.
Brakes and wheel bearings are good. Anything im missing that you guys can help me out with just let me know. Thanks
Old 06-17-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Moog joints will fit in your OEM control arm. The top joint is not serviceable, so you'll need new control arms again.

To stop your problem, you need to take the inserts AND the 3" level block out. The general consensus says no more than 2.5" with stock parts.

Why do people do such crazy things with front ends...

Last edited by nrivera04; 06-17-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Was not my truck just trying to fix the gremlins haha. Thank you for the help
Old 06-18-2016, 09:53 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

You also should replace the outer tie-rod ends, sway bar links and sway bar bushings while you are in there. As stated the whole upper A-arm needs replaced and yes, you can press new ball joints into the lower A-arms. With that extreme lift in the front, your upper ball joints will probably need replaced every 15k or so.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 3,059 Likes on 1,686 Posts

As others have said, you don't need the lower control arm, just the ball joint. Get rid of the 3" level and whatever else you have in there. 2.5" max or you'll keep going through upper ball joints like you currently are.

Also agree about tie rods and sway bar links. I did the whole job last summer with my truck. Added some new coil overs too. Took the better part of a day to complete.

Quick Reply: Front end Questions