Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front end making noises, driving me crazy! Please help....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end making noises, driving me crazy! Please help....

I'm back! I have a 2004 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew Cab with the 5.4 Triton.
I am experiencing a steady not to loud but an annoying knocking/Vibration/chatter (not metal on metal) when ever I turn either way no matter how hard or soft I turn the wheel. It will sometimes but not all the time do it when im going straight from a slow take off and when I come to a slow stop. It is in fact very very noticeable when I'm going straight down a dirt road with wash boards. I've jacked the front end up and checked all ball joints, cv joints, u-joints, sway bar links, wheel bearings (shaking the hell out of the wheel) and everything appears to be tight and no play what so ever. I do have some meaty a*s tires that rumbles the truck pretty good at slow speed when the knocking/Vibration/chatter does occur. Also I've ridin the brakes in turns to see if my brakes were the cause but it still has the steady knock. I've replaced the front shocks, sway bar links, and sway bar bushings. Ive done the vaccum pressure test on my IWS (4x4) and it holds and passed all the test. My previous post i thought rotating the tires cured it but it was a no go. Any ideas will be greatly appriciated, Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 521 Likes on 293 Posts

I would lean toward the CVs.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 4x4 and the CVs shouldn't be moving at all when 4x4 is not engaged. Could it still cause a noise?

Quick Reply: Front end making noises, driving me crazy! Please help....