Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

front end loud whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
05 f150 screw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end loud whine

so louder than ever tonight, im driving to work at about 65 mph, and my front end, only sounds like drivers side there is this loud, mid-pitched whine....it sounds like metal on metal..but ive never been able to put a finger on it, it goes away, and comes back. it does it at in town speeds as well teh odd time, but as soon as i go to the brake it seems to dissappear..i first put it on that alternator noise everyone was blaming, but now im starting to think differently...could it be a bad brake job?
please help as i dont want to die anytime soon im canadian and want to live to next month for my well deserved florida trip
Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 PM
05 f150 screw

before anyone asks, i bought it in december and apparently the brake rotors were done and bearings
Old 03-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by tallpalehandsome
so louder than ever tonight, im driving to work at about 65 mph, and my front end, only sounds like drivers side there is this loud, mid-pitched whine....it sounds like metal on metal..but ive never been able to put a finger on it, it goes away, and comes back. it does it at in town speeds as well teh odd time, but as soon as i go to the brake it seems to dissappear..i first put it on that alternator noise everyone was blaming, but now im starting to think differently...could it be a bad brake job?
please help as i dont want to die anytime soon im canadian and want to live to next month for my well deserved florida trip
Could be the power steering pump going south on you (before your trip to Florida!). Or it could be the belt. Have you changed the belt yet? How many miles are on the engine? I change the belt every 30 to 40 thousand miles for good insurance. Since there is only one belt driving all of the accessories (AC, power steering, water pump), I like to know it's not going to break on me while I'm on a trip.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:20 AM
05 f150 screw

i dont think the belt has been changed its at just about 60 thousand, it came off lease when i bought it so obviously nothing has really been babied on it. im sort of picking up slack on it, but ill have it ready to roll entirely by summer. but i guess i should have that done, and as for the power steering, the only thing i notice to do with that is steering becomes a tad too loose the odd time, like too easy if you know what i mean. i know whatever it is needs to be looked at, but i dont know how to explain it to the mechanic.

Quick Reply: front end loud whine