Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front end clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Front end clunking noise

A few weeks ago I added a 2.5 in leveling kit on my 04 F150 4x4. Wver since then I hear a clucking sound every time I hit a bump or go over a speed bump. Almost like the shocks are bottoming out. At the moment I have the gabriel struts up front and I also replaced the end link bushings. When I got up under the truck to see if there was anything loose, a few ideas came to mind. Take note that the Gabriels are for OEM stock replacement. Could the clunking sound be coming from the shocks over extended and bottoming out with the spacers on there , or is it the end link bushings that are not long enough to compensate for the extra 2.5 inches for when I leveled the front end? Any input is needed. I am also hearing a small pop when I turn left, but only does it every once in a while.

I was at autozone earlier today trying to find a longer end link bushing but the performance ones whey sale is the type that bolts from the top and bottom, not like the ones on our trucks where they bolt on from the side. They look over extended with the leveling kit.

Do you think its the struts and I need to go with a longer strut or do you think that it is the end link bushings?

Either/or, what do I need to go with so I can get rid of the clunking sound? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I was told that the gabriel stuts were made for regular stock trucks with no modifications.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 PM

OK. I took my truck to our fleet mechanic (he's the one who installed the checked every single bit of the suspension along with the rear, from the ball joints, cv joints, drive shafts, shocks, EVERYTHING! He couldn't find anything wrong at all. Yet, the problem still exists. He is thinking like I was about the front shocks. With the spacers on, the shock compressed 2.5 inches. The shocks are made to OEM specs w/o modifications in mind. With them being compressed, when I hit bumps or anything like that , the shocks are actually bottoming out maybe? This is really getting on my nerves. I also still have a little shimmy while driving down the road. I have BRAND NEW BFGs and the spacers were only put on a month or so. I also had it aligned IMMEDIATELY after the tires were mounted.

When I hit small bumps in the road, it sounds like a thump sound. Also when I turn to the left, I sometimes hear a very light POP sound coming from the left front wheel. It doesnt happen everytime.

SO... What are your opinions? I need to get this fixed ASAP. Keep in mind that I have taken this to two mechanics and the last one is one of the best around.

Has anyone else has this issue? Please help a brother out. I dont do ANY off roading. Remember my truck is my Rescue/Responder truck. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alsatropine
OK. I took my truck to our fleet mechanic (he's the one who installed the checked every single bit of the suspension along with the rear, from the ball joints, cv joints, drive shafts, shocks, EVERYTHING! He couldn't find anything wrong at all. Yet, the problem still exists. He is thinking like I was about the front shocks. With the spacers on, the shock compressed 2.5 inches. The shocks are made to OEM specs w/o modifications in mind. With them being compressed, when I hit bumps or anything like that , the shocks are actually bottoming out maybe? This is really getting on my nerves. I also still have a little shimmy while driving down the road. I have BRAND NEW BFGs and the spacers were only put on a month or so. I also had it aligned IMMEDIATELY after the tires were mounted.

When I hit small bumps in the road, it sounds like a thump sound. Also when I turn to the left, I sometimes hear a very light POP sound coming from the left front wheel. It doesnt happen everytime.

SO... What are your opinions? I need to get this fixed ASAP. Keep in mind that I have taken this to two mechanics and the last one is one of the best around.

Has anyone else has this issue? Please help a brother out. I dont do ANY off roading. Remember my truck is my Rescue/Responder truck. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Hate the fact that I cant help you but perhaps you can call the OEM of your leveling kit and get some advice from them. They may have a TSB of their own or atleast can point you in the right direction.

Best of luck.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Im thinking ford tsb's... They have a tsb for steerig shaft rattle/clunk over rough surfaces.. My truck also does this
Old 10-28-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by alsatropine

Could be the bushings in the lower part of the shock... Sometimes they look fine, but a softer compound of rubber can cause it to move enough to where it feels loose under load. I've had issues with replacement motor mounts and struts, in these cases the compound of rubber chosen was far too soft and created a lot of play and movement when force was applied. So much play that the bolt through the eyelet was tweaked from it. I'm willing to bet this is your issue.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 PM

Could be the bushings in the lower part of the shock... Sometimes they look fine, but a softer compound of rubber can cause it to move enough to where it feels loose under load. I've had issues with replacement motor mounts and struts, in these cases the compound of rubber chosen was far too soft and created a lot of play and movement when force was applied. So much play that the bolt through the eyelet was tweaked from it. I'm willing to bet this is your issue. (quoted by especial86)

So what would be the fix for this issue? Try different shocks? Do you think I need to change out my end link bushings as well? The ones I have on there are brand new ( oem parts )... I had the regreased yesterday... seems to help a little but not much. Is there anywhere that makes aftermarket replacement end link bushing from our trucks? What about the strut mounts? Think they could be separating?

My truck is fixing to go to the dealer to have the camshaft phasers replaced, and have a good going through before i get it back. I can do the struts myself, just need to be steered in the right direction. Been working on mechanical stuff on ambulances today and havent had time to mess with my truck today. Just wanted to get your input Especial86... Can a ford Tech chi[ in and give some insight?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2008f1504x4
Im thinking ford tsb's... They have a tsb for steerig shaft rattle/clunk over rough surfaces.. My truck also does this
Do you have the link to the TSB for this issue? Would love to have the printout when I take it to the dealer.

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-2012, 07:48 PM

Bulletin number 05923 nhtsa item number 10017937
Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 PM

Oh and i think i traced my noise to tie rod ends lol but still the tsb may e your culprit although i no longer think its mine
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM

well just an update about my clunking sound. I took my truck back to the place where I got my truck aligned. I had them double check the alignment and the every bolt on the front end. Come to find out, the camber nut the drivers side was a little loose and the toe on the passenger side was WAY out of wack. They ended up spending about an hour realigning my front end, and double checking every bolt on the front end. About 50% of them were not even tight enough. I immediately went and had the tires rotated and balanced. Of course they were out of balance. So far I have had almost no sounds coming from the front end. NOW, my next project is my exhaust. I want a single in, dual out exhaust and have them turn the pipes to come out in front of the rear wheel. I'll drive it around a little longer and see how things do. Maybe this has solved my issue.

Quick Reply: Front end clunking noise