Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front End Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 01:30 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Front End Clicking Noise

A few days ago I noticed a clicking noise when turning in my truck. Today I finally had time to look into it.

When it happens:
1. turning right
2. turning left
3. continues for 5-100 feet after the turn.

When researching this online I found out about the IWE solenoid and read the thread in the helpful links sticky and learned all about it. When I looked at the solenoid on my truck I saw that it was the original without a rain guard so I immediately thought that was the problem. Although after some more reading I learned that if you put the truck in 4x4 and the noise is still there then this is not the problem.

I just tested the truck in 2x4 and 4x4 making the same turns in both directions and the noise was there in both driving conditions.

I also got under the truck to look for anything obvious like a stick hitting the wheel or a loose nut on the sway bar end links but nothing stood out to me.

So now I'm stuck and really don't want to go to dealer, but will if I can't figure it out.

Here is a video of the clicking noise when turning into a driveway, sorry for the crappy video I just held my phone out the window.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Hard to tell from the video, but it could be bad CV joints. Most often they are the culprit when someone complains of a clicking noise while turning sharp. They are not supposed to turn in 2WD. The only way to know if they are is to perform the tests in my thread here: https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-di...72/?styleid=14

You may have multiple issues going on- 4x4 problem and bad CV joints...
The following users liked this post:
Melbeachmoose20 (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the help VTX

I just jacked the truck up to check the system... it worked perfectly.
With the truck off, I rotated one wheel and the half shaft turned and the front driveshaft turned. With the engine running and when rotating the wheel in 2x4 nothing turned at all.

So to my knowledge the vacuum system and the IWE's are all working correctly. It could not be a CV joint because they are not moving when the noise is present right?

Also after testing the truck and taking it for another ride the noise was still there in both 2x4 and 4x4.

Once again thanks for the help.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Sounds like the 4x4 is working correctly and yes, you have eliminated the CV joints as a source of the problem. You did check both front wheels, yes?

Do you have oversize tires or custom wheels with other than factory offset? Have you lowered the truck? Have you installed anything like mud flaps or wheel flares that might come in contact with the tires when turning? If so, look for wear marks where the tires may be contacting these items.

It's possible that a bad wheel bearing or loose brake parts or stones or other foreign material in the brakes are causing the noise. Check to make sure the dust shield on the back side of the rotor isn't contacting it. Check that the steering knuckle to hub and IWE to knuckle bolts are tight. If the hub bolts were loose you would have scary steering issues. Check the IWEs to make sure the mounting tabs the bolts go through (3 of them per IWE) are not broken and the IWE bodies themselves are not cracked. You may have to remove the IWE to get a good inspection. Check that the IWEs hold vacuum (need a vacuum pump with a gauge for this).

The last thing I can think of is either loose lines for the brake hose, ABS sensor, or IWE vacuum lines touching the wheel or tire.
Melbeachmoose20 (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 06:34 PM

Yes I checked both front wheels. I have stock wheels and AT tires in stock size so I doubt that is the problem. Also the truck has no leveling, lift, or lowering kits on it. Also no mud flaps or similar items.

Funny that you say brakes... I replaced the rotors and pads about 5k miles ago. Maybe something loosened up? I was at my house all day today but I have access to a lift so tomorrow I will put it in the air and take the tires off and inspect the brakes and dust shields along with the hubs and IWE's.

Thanks a lot for all the help, was really worried it was going to be a pricey repair, now I'm just a little worried haha.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:13 PM

Update

Put the truck on the lift today. After looking around for a awhile I found two lines that had fallen out of their clips:
Name:  photo2_zps38efe75a.jpg
Views: 3531
Size:  126.0 KB

So I put them into the clips thinking this was the cause of the noise and took the truck for a drive... noise was still there.

So now I put the truck back on the lift and pull the front tires. I inspected the rotors for weird wear, checked the 3 bolts holding the IWE on and looked for anything else that could be causing the noise and the only thing that I saw was this:
Name:  photo1_zps9194f5be.jpg
Views: 3492
Size:  65.2 KB

I doubt that the shock rubbing the spring a little is the cause of the noise but who knows anymore.

Think I'm heading to the dealer later today and have them look at it.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had something similar and it was a bad iwe.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by rfinger
I had something similar and it was a bad iwe.
Was the clicking random for you or was it constant? Because when I turn it does not do it 100% of the time.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

random mostly then became more prevalent when turning
Melbeachmoose20 (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by rfinger
random mostly then became more prevalent when turning
Damn that is what mine is like. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow morning. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to be fixed?

Quick Reply: Front End Clicking Noise