Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front Crash sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Front Crash sensor

So I did my research on getting the 4-2 airbag light and found the wire right before the connector was completed corroded. I bought new pins and cut the old connector off and was going to rebuild the connector. Unfortunately, while trying to push the old pins out, I broke the connector. I can't find any 04-08 f150s in any junk yards within 50 miles of me and am trying to avoid spending 80 bucks on ebay for the sensor and pig tail kit. Does anybody know if there is another vehicle that has this same connector? Would a same year range expedition have this connector on it possibly? I understand this is really reaching asking this but any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

How badly did you break the connector?

I don't have the motor craft pigtail PDF on this silly phone. Will take a look on the laptop later.

The only other suggestion would be go to a breaker yard. Pull the sensor and search for a compatible plug.

Don't forget to screw the sensor onto the rad brace or it will still show 4-2.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rossco
How badly did you break the connector?

I don't have the motor craft pigtail PDF on this silly phone. Will take a look on the laptop later.

The only other suggestion would be go to a breaker yard. Pull the sensor and search for a compatible plug.

Don't forget to screw the sensor onto the rad brace or it will still show 4-2.

I didn't break it too bad. Just broke the red plastic on the pin side. I STILL can't get these pins out with my pin pick. I was wanting to see if anybody knew what vehicles would have the same connector so I can just cut 6" of wire off another one ans splice my wires together with the new connector instead of trying to keep messing with these pins.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Cool

Originally Posted by 04_Lariat_SCrew
I didn't break it too bad. Just broke the red plastic on the pin side. I STILL can't get these pins out with my pin pick. I was wanting to see if anybody knew what vehicles would have the same connector so I can just cut 6" of wire off another one ans splice my wires together with the new connector instead of trying to keep messing with these pins.
Oh you only broke the lock?

The pins should come out easy in theory. They work just like a Deutsch plug. I managed with a real small watch maker flat head. The red lock needs to be fully extracted thou.

The only other plug I can think of that's the same / similar are Rear ABS and knock sensor.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 AM

The pins should come out easy in theory. They work just like a Deutsch plug. I managed with a real small watch maker flat head. The red lock needs to be fully extracted thou.

The only other plug I can think of that's the same / similar are Rear ABS and knock sensor.
I got the lock out. These pins just arent cooperating with me though. I'm using the Ford pin pick from O'reillys. Maybe it's too thick and a small screwdriver will work better?
Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 PM

Also, do you think an 04 Expedition would have the same connectors? I'm going to a junkyard in a little bit to look at one but didn't know if you would know before I make the drive. Thanks in advance
Old 03-24-2014, 04:57 PM

So I got the new plug and spliced in the wiring. I put everything together and My airbag light is still flashing 4-2. How do I clear the light? I had the battery disconnected when I did the repair and I thought that would take care of clearing it for me but it came right on. I double and triple checked the connection in the repair and everything is fine. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 03-25-2014, 10:16 AM

I had a quick question about the wiring on the front impact sensor. I'm sitting at work so I can't go and check it and I'm impatient and am just curious as to an idea I had. How is the impact sensor grounded? I can't find a diagram anywhere and completely suck with electrical anyways. The wires going into the connecter are red and the other is blue/black (I think). I'm assuming the red is the power wire so what does that make the other wire? My idea is maybe when I found the blue/black wire corroded, could it have cause the fuse to pop? Is there even a fuse for this system? Thanks in advance for any ideas. I would go check but can't like I said because I'm at work.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Just to update, I'm officially retarded. The connector I got was a slightly tight fit and apparently it wasn't plugged in all the way. Problem is fixed. Thanks for any of the input you guys have helped with.

Quick Reply: Front Crash sensor