Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:39 PM
South County Bad Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes

I was lucky enough to have to deal with the extremely expensive front brake rotors for my two wheel drive F150 since they come with the whole hub. My question is, should I grease the spindle before putting the rotor back on? It came off pretty dry, a little slick but dry for the most part. I took my rotors off to machine them since my '04 has the front brake vibration problem, but once I got done they were under throw away so I'm stuck with some thin rotors until I get money for new ones. I reinstalled the old assemblies and now it feels like the bearing is binding up or at least that's what my little mind is thinking. I also reinstalled the spindle nut which I shouldn't have done, but oh well. Should I really torque it to what the spec says (295ft/lbs)? Or just tighten until the socket starts absorbing the torque? I don't really know how I would be able to precisely torque it that high. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:14 AM
A New York state of mind

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have greased and re packed the bearing just cause it was already off
Old 06-02-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Screw-Me-05
You should have greased and re packed the bearing just cause it was already off
you cant pack these bearings....i believe they are dry bearings aswell, not sure if you need grease on the spindle or not though...
Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 PM
South County Bad Boy

Originally Posted by azmidget91
you cant pack these bearings....i believe they are dry bearings aswell, not sure if you need grease on the spindle or not though...
yup, the bearing stays in the hub and rotor assemby and it is included with the new hub and rotor assembly. that is why they are so expensive because they include everything.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

You are taking a huge risk for yourself and others driving around with rotors that have been shaved under the required thickness. Who machined them? It is against the law for any shop to do this, as they can/will shatter when the brakes are applied. The heat build up cannot disapate on too thin rotors.

Please remove them as soon as you can; for the safety of you and the other drivers sharing the road with you.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 PM
South County Bad Boy

I was the one that machined them, and I was going to buy new ones once I found out that they were under throw away. But I don't have $300 for rotors, so I have to take the chance right now.

Quick Reply: Front Brakes