Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Frame Damper Kit Anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Damper Kit Anyone???

So I have desperately been trying to figure out the whole 'bed shakes' problem that no one seems to have a fix for. Many people have told me to add a tool box with a lot of weight and so on... but that is not a real fix, more like a cover-up.

I found TSB 04-25-07 that included vibration scenarios and I am wondering if anyone has had the Frame Damper Kit installed on their truck? If so, did it eliminate the shaking bed/box problems?

Here is the full TSB:

TSB
04-25-7
  • VEHICLE/STEERING WHEEL VIBRATION AT 50 MPH (80 KM/H) OR HIGHER - STEERING WHEEL NIBBLE AT 65 MPH (105 KM/H) OR HIGHER
Publication Date: December 8, 2004
FORD:
2004-2005 F-150
ISSUE:
Some F-150 vehicles may exhibit a vehicle/steering wheel vibration (not nibble) at 50 MPH (80 km/h) or higher, or a steering wheel nibble (side-to-side or rotational oscillation) at 65 MPH (105 km/h) or higher.
ACTION:
Refer to the Diagnostic Overview (Figure 1). Based on the customer's description of the concern, find the appropriate Operating Condition, Probable Cause and Repair Action.

Figure 1 - Article 04-25-7

SERVICE PROCEDURE
  1. Drive the vehicle at highway speeds for at least 20 miles to eliminate flat spotting. Install an EVA or Vetronix vibration analyzer and have an assistant monitor and record the reading near the end of the 20 mile drive and while at the peak of the vibration. Proceed to Step 2 for 4x4 vehicles and directly to Step 3 for 4x2 vehicles.

1. Check the Integrated Wheel End (IWE) on 4x4 units. Raise the front of the vehicle (wheels off the ground), engine running, and vehicle in 2WD mode. The front half shafts should not turn when wheels are rotated by hand. If the IWE is functioning correctly proceed to Step 3. If not, refer to Workshop Manual Section 308-07 to repair IWE first. Then proceed to Step 3.
  2. If road force measurement equipment (Hunter GSP9700/9712, or equivalent) is available, proceed to Step 4. If not, balance the tires with a standard balancer and use a dial indicator to locate and mark the high point of each the tire's centerline radial run out (to use in place of R1H in the following steps). After marking the tires, proceed to Step 7.
NOTE:
THE PROCEDURE IN THIS TSB IS FAR MORE EFFECTIVE WHEN USING ROAD FORCE MEASUREMENT EQUIPMENT. ONLY USE A STANDARD BALANCER AND MANUALLY CHECK RUN OUT WHEN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. THERE IS A WEBSITE AVAILABLE (WWW.GSP9700.COM) TO LOCATE THE NEAREST FACILITY THAT HAS THIS TYPE OF EQUIPMENT.
NOTE:
SUPPRESS ROUND OFF FUNCTION ON ROAD FORCE BALANCER TO ALLOW ACTUAL RESIDUALS TO BE DISPLAYED.
  1. Perform the road force measurement immediately after driving the vehicle. Remove the wheel cover and wheel assembly. Measure the road force variation of all four tires. Measure and mark the tire HIGH road force variation point (R1H) on all four tires prior to dismounting them from the road force measurement equipment. Balance as required to 0.35 oz (10g) or less of imbalance (check both two-plane and static). If any wheel assembly measures more than the values listed in the chart below for R1H then proceed to Step 5. If less than the values listed, proceed to Step 6.
Tire Type
R1H
P Metric Tires
25 lbs.
LT Tires
25 lbs.
  1. Using the road force measurement equipment, determine the low spot of the wheel run out. Match high point force variation on the tire with the low spot of wheel run out. If the wheel assembly is now acceptable, continue with rebalance. If not, replace the tire and re-check.
NOTE:
THE SPARE TIRE SHOULD NOT BE USED AS A REPLACEMENT TIRE.
  1. Install the lowest R1H level tires on the front of the vehicle.
  2. Position all tire/wheel assemblies on the hubs with the high R1H point, or high tire centerline radial run out point, at the 12:00 position (Figure 2).

Figure 2 - Article 04-25-7
  3. Install the lug nuts and torque to 150 lb-ft (200 N-m).
  4. Using a flat feeler gauge, check the wheel hub-to-bore clearance to verify the largest gap is as close to the 6:00 position as possible (Figure 2). If the largest gap is not located near the 6:00 position remove the lug nuts and tire/wheel assembly, rotate the hub to a new position, and reinstall the tire wheel assembly again following steps 7 and 8. Check again for the optimum 6:00 gap location. Road test vehicle to verify vehicle is corrected. If not corrected, proceed to step 10.
  5. Perform the following based on remaining symptom:
    1. If vibration still exists at 50-65 MPH (9-11 Hz), condition may be due to vehicle sensitivity or road inputs. Obtain Frame Damper Kit and refer to the instruction sheet included in the kit for installation.
NOTE:
THE DAMPER KIT WILL NOT HELP A STEERING WHEEL NIBBLE CONDITION OR A DRIVELINE VIBRATION (25-45 HZ).
    1. If steering wheel nibble still exists at 65 MPH or higher (12-14 Hz), and the vehicle build date is prior to 8/20/2003, follow TSB 03-20-8 to determine if steering gear replacement is needed.

PART NUMBER
PART NAME
4L3Z-5D008-AA
Frame Damper Kit

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
04-25-08, 03-20-08
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION
DESCRIPTIONTIME
042507A
Road Test 20 Miles With NVH Tool, Recorded Frequency (Two Man Allowance) If Concern Is Solved, Return Vehicle To Customer
1.6 Hrs.
042507B
Road Test 20 Miles With NVH Tool, Recorded Frequency (Two Man Allowance), Inspect IWE, Balance 4 Tires, Measure Hubs, Re-Road Test
2.8 Hrs.
042507C
Road Test 20 Miles With NVH Tool, Recorded Frequency (Two Man Allowance), Inspect IWE, Balance 4 Tires, Measure All Hubs, Re-Road Test, Install Damper
3.4 Hrs.
042507D
Road Test 20 Miles With NVH Tool, Recorded Frequency ( Two Man Allowance), Inspect IWE, Balance 4 Tires, Re-Index 4 Tires, Measure All Hubs, Re-Road Test
3.4 Hrs.
042507E
Road Test 20 Miles With NVH Tool, Recorded Frequency (Two Man Allowance), Inspect IWE, Balance 4 Tires, Re-Index 4 Tires, Measure All Hubs, Re-Road Test, Install Damper
4.0 Hrs.
042507F
Road Test 20 Miles With NVH Tool, Recorded Frequency (Two Man Allowance), Inspect IWE, Balance Tires, Re-Index 4 Tires, Re-Balance 4 Tires, Replace 4 Tires, Balance 4 New Tires, Measure All Hubs, Re-Road Test
4.3 Hrs.
042507G
Road Test 20 Miles With NVH Tool, Recorded Frequency (Two Man Allowance), Inspect IWE, Balance 4 Tires, Re-Index 4 Tires, Re-Balance 4 Tires, Replace 4 Tires, Balance 4 New Tires, Measure All Hubs, Re-Road Test, Install Damper
4.6 Hrs.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever find out why it shook?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look like a steering damper. Not something for bed shake
Old 03-11-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have LS rearend? Could be a shudder from the rear end clutch packs. I believe their is a TSB for that also.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone ever install one of these? TSB mentions there are install instructions included but I ordered one and it came in a ford box but no paperwork inside.... just the dampener and two bolts and two nuts.

I think its self explanatory where it goes, but there's not really enough room between the truck bed and the frame to get the bolts in place.

I'm curious if I should keep trying to maneuver the thing in there, or if the instructions for the dampener installation actually include removing the truck bed or at least removing the rear 4 bed bolts?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to remove the rear bed bolts and lift the truck bed like a quarter inch and the dampener bolts slid into place.

Reminder, the bed bolts are a Torx Plus TP50. Torx plus is a little stronger than regular torx. I broke many torx bits before I finally ordered a torx plus and it worked perfectly to get those bed bolts out.

Kind of a pain in the **** to get those nuts on the bolts through those little holes in the frame rail.

I haven't driven the truck much, maybe 20 miles, but no bed bounce yet! Drives real smooth so far!

Quick Reply: Frame Damper Kit Anyone???