Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Four Wheel Drive Fixed by New Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Four Wheel Drive Fixed by New Solenoid

I know this topic is probably a dead horse around here, but I just wanted to write my name on the list of fixes and give anybody Googling the same issue another thread to find.

Problem:
4x4 Hi seemed to engage fine, but the light on the dash wouldn't come on. 4x4 Lo engaged fine and light on the dash worked correctly.

From time to time the front end seemed to be a bit heavy and sluggish and to groan a bit, as if the hubs were locked even in 2wd. No grinding or anything, luckily. I haven't had the truck long, though.

According to a technical service bulletin, this happens because the solenoids in 2004 and 2005 trucks aren't well-protected from rain water and get shorted out or get water in the vacuum lines. The solenoid has been redesigned so that it has a plastic housing to keep the water off it.

Solution:

Following the advice I found on here, I replaced the IWE solenoid located on the firewall behind the battery on the passenger side.

I got the new design replacement part with the shroud at NAPA same day for $27.55 including taxes.

Now 2wd feels as loose as it should, and 4wd engages with a distinct sound and the lights on the dash display correctly.

Tips:
You can check the new solenoid without unbolting the old one. No use taking the old one off until you know this is the solution.

I found removing the battery to be very helpful when trying to reach the solenoid. The nuts holding the terminals to the battery posts and the nut in the block holding the battery down are both 5/16".

The nuts holding the old solenoid to the firewall are 10mm. I would recommend a deep well socket for this, as the bolts they're attached to are rather long.

After some trial and error, I was able to get them loose with a regular length 10mm socket by not fully inserting the end of the ratchet. This required a bit of a balancing act to keep from dropping the socket. In hindsight a small wrench would have probably worked just as well, but I'm just coming off a move and the socket set was all that was handy.

Mounting the new one was easy enough. Just stick it back on there and tighten the nuts back down.

So thanks to you guys for the info I needed to fix my truck.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

good deal on the new solenoid...
Old 07-08-2014, 11:27 AM
F150 Forum

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I wonder if this would be a good idea for a pre-emptive repair so it doesn't go bad while you're out in the wilderness.

Do you have the part number for the solenoid?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My 4-low and 4-hi both work but my dash lights only blink when I engage them then go off. When I start my truck the lights come on so I know the bulbs arent burnt out. Can you please let me know the part# for this so I can see if it fixes my issue? I have an 06 so I should already have the revised part but its worth a shot.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ACCESS
I wonder if this would be a good idea for a pre-emptive repair so it doesn't go bad while you're out in the wilderness.

Do you have the part number for the solenoid?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3422784
Part numbers are #4L3Z9E441AA, 6L3Z9E441A, CX1963. I think the shroud is standard now but make sure when you order. Good insurance for under $30 and also a good idea to do it before you have an issue because that could cause damage when it malfunctions. While you are at it may as well get a fuel module for about $60: Fuel Pump Driver Module = 5L3A-9D370-AA
Dorman part number = 590-001 (AAA1211502623)

Last edited by stmar; 07-08-2014 at 04:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sktllmdrhmz (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the link to the one I got from NAPA.

Napa Solenoid Link

Part number looks like NOE 6003580, at least as far as NAPA goes.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

My 06 is stuck in 4hi, I replaced the shift motor, 2 relays, switch and solenoid and I still can't get it back to 2hi. When I put the new shift motor on I had to manually turn the dial to 2hi but when I cranked the truck it went right back to 4hi and the SOTF was still at 2hi. The shop is saying they did a schematic test on it and saying it's the PCM which is a reman I had installed 3 months ago. Does this make sense to anyone or is there something else I should be checking ?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who posted information regarding the IWE solenoid problem and repair. I experienced a horrific grinding noise and felt a resistance as though something was dragging under my truck. Immediately turned to the Forum and found that I was not alone. Picked up a Dorman IWE solenoid, changed it out, and no more grinding.
Never even realized it because I don't really use the 4x4, but the last couple of times I shifted in and out of 4WD, there was a delay in engagement and lights coming on. Checked that out as well after installing the new solenoid, and all is working fine now.
Thanks again to everyone for saving me lots of time, aggravation, and $$.

Last edited by lariat5.4; 08-08-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Four Wheel Drive Fixed by New Solenoid