Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Found out why my motor was bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Found out why my motor was bad

Sorry I havnt been active at all lately. Been too cought up trying to get the new motor in my truck. Anyways my replacement motor is a freshly rebuilt 2008 and my truck is an 04 so I have a sensor on the oil pan and my new engine doesn't. I was taking the pan off my old motor to put it in my new motor and there were chunks (big and small) of plastic and metal all over the oil pan, clogging the intake tube. Looking around I see that both of my timing chain guides are completely decentigeated .. That would explain the hard rattling I heard sometimes, and how it ran better when I beat on it cause it kept the chain tight with no guide
Old 07-02-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Broken chain guides will do it alright. Good luck with your new engine!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Griffinbrown64
Sorry I havnt been active at all lately. Been too cought up trying to get the new motor in my truck. Anyways my replacement motor is a freshly rebuilt 2008 and my truck is an 04 so I have a sensor on the oil pan and my new engine doesn't. I was taking the pan off my old motor to put it in my new motor and there were chunks (big and small) of plastic and metal all over the oil pan, clogging the intake tube. Looking around I see that both of my timing chain guides are completely decentigeated .. That would explain the hard rattling I heard sometimes, and how it ran better when I beat on it cause it kept the chain tight with no guide
Thanks for the heads up.

So, when should we replace our chain guides? Every 100K miles?
Old 07-02-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure, I have 288,000 on mine but I would defiantly do it before that to be safe.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:00 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Hongstertruck
Thanks for the heads up.

So, when should we replace our chain guides? Every 100K miles?
I'd at least begin to gather parts once you hear the cold start rattle often. It's usually from leaking tensioners, but when the chains loose for those first few cold start moments, all that chain slack slaps the plastic guides and breaks them..
Old 07-03-2015, 07:07 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Especial86
I'd at least begin to gather parts once you hear the cold start rattle often. It's usually from leaking tensioners, but when the chains loose for those first few cold start moments, all that chain slack slaps the plastic guides and breaks them..
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep this in mind. My truck has 72K miles, no cold rattle so far, knock on wood.

How difficult is it to change out the chain tensioner do you know?
Old 07-03-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Especial86

Great I have that rattle at start up here and there. 99000 miles. What is the rough cost for just replacing the tensioners and guides?
Old 07-03-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by WIF-150
Great I have that rattle at start up here and there. 99000 miles. What is the rough cost for just replacing the tensioners and guides?
I wouldn't sweat it too bad.. It just means the tensioner seals are starting to leak down after long periods of rest.. As long as the rattle goes away within a few seconds of cold start it means they still hold enough pressure to tension the slack on the chains.

This job is usually a full timing set rebuild, which is normal for any engine. It's around $500 - $750 in parts, and you should replace everything while your going through the trouble of pulling everything apart..
Old 07-03-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by WIF-150
If you are going in to replace the tensioners and guides, IMO you should also change out the phasers and I did my lash adjusters and followers just so I wouldnt have to go back in again later. I did all the timing components (chains, tensioners, guides, phasers, reluctor ring, lash adjusters and followers for $800-900), plus any fluids that I had to replace like oil change and antifreeze. Doing the lash adjusters and followers, I found that I had 13 bad lash adjusters, so I am glad I bought them all prior to beginning.

Tom
The following users liked this post:
Hongstertruck (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

It does it about 75% of the time after long periods. But the other 25% starts normal. Always goes away in about 3 seconds. Hopefully its fine, be getting a new truck a few years

Quick Reply: Found out why my motor was bad