Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ford Genuine RKE/RMST/VSS

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ford Genuine RKE/RMST/VSS

I'm installing a Ford genuine Remote Keyless Entry/Remote Start/Vehicle Security System (GEN-2) and am having a few problems. I can't seem to get into the programming mode. If I hit the remote start button it beeps once, puts the ignition on but doesn't crank engine, then turns ignition off and chirps four times. I looked up that code and it said that I haven't programmed my tach yet. So, I go in and I try to enter the programming mode (driver's door open, key in on position, hold in program button for ten/twenty seconds), and I get nothing.... can ANYONE help me?!? This is killin me!

A few more details:
- Cannot enter programming mode
- Windshield wipers activate when hit remote start
- No diagnostic codes via OBD-II

Last edited by LiquidPro; 01-06-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Added a couple more details.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:45 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Which is why I will take mine to a shop to install anything like that. If I start something like that and can't get it to work properly, I may not be getting to work in the morning either.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 PM

Well luckily I can still start my truck, it's just an issue of wires being everywhere. I had an issue with paying more for installation than the part cost. They estimated $250 for installation and I only paid $200 for the starter, however now I'm thinking it probably would have been worth the $250.

Anyways, Kneeland helped me out with the wipers, there are two PK-YL wires in the same area -- one is wipers one is door lock... guess which one I had hooked up?

Now I just have to find out why it's not letting me into programming mode. Any suggestions?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:48 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Originally Posted by LiquidPro
Well luckily I can still start my truck, it's just an issue of wires being everywhere. I had an issue with paying more for installation than the part cost. They estimated $250 for installation and I only paid $200 for the starter, however now I'm thinking it probably would have been worth the $250.

Anyways, Kneeland helped me out with the wipers, there are two PK-YL wires in the same area -- one is wipers one is door lock... guess which one I had hooked up?

Now I just have to find out why it's not letting me into programming mode. Any suggestions?
No, I am not familiar enough with those systems to make any suggestions. My truck, I bought it on eBay, came with a Cliffor alarm system that also opens the doors. I cannot change anything with it because I do not have the 3 digit passcode needed "unlock" the alarm and allow me to make changes. Right now it is in "passive arming" mode. It automatically arms itself within 30 seconds of the doors being shut.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:51 PM

Well, thanks anyways. Sounds like you should try to contact the eBay seller and see if they can't get it for you. Either that or there has to be a way to reset the system.

Hopefully a Ford service tech will see this and can give me an idea.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Well, thanks anyways. Sounds like you should try to contact the eBay seller and see if they can't get it for you. Either that or there has to be a way to reset the system.

Hopefully a Ford service tech will see this and can give me an idea.
The eBay seller was a used car dealer that got it at auction from a Ford dealer that got it on trade...

I don't think I will ever get that code...
Old 01-06-2008, 09:24 PM

Haha... well then it looks like that idea is thrown out the window. Sorry to hear that man!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:27 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Haha... well then it looks like that idea is thrown out the window. Sorry to hear that man!
Not half as sorry as I am...
I can't even work on my truck without leaving one of the doors open the entire time I am working.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:51 PM

I have the programming instructions for that system at my shop. I if memory serves me right, this is how to do it. If it doesn't work, I can check the paper work I have to verify things. I do remember on some vehicles, the door has to be closed for programming until the door trigger is programmed for a negative trigger. With the door open or closed (try both ways) and the brake on, you turn the key and start the motor then, hold the valet and wait for the chirps, then press the valet again and then there should be 4 chirps. Press the horn button on the key fob 3 times and then press the lock button. It should honk the horn every five seconds to confirm that the tach setting has been programmed.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:41 PM

After calling up tech support (1-800-FORD-KEY) I managed to get the system installed, and working extremely well. Turns out that in the kick panel there were several wires that were the same color, the one wire that I had picked was wrong... of course. Then, to do the programming I had to call them up again because the instructions I had were wrong (according to CodeSystems tech) and I had to program using the panic button and lock button on my remote, and it did the trick!

Got the truck all re-assembled last night around 2:00am, and gave it a nice hefty remote start this morning! :-D

Thanks for the help everyone.

Quick Reply: Ford Genuine RKE/RMST/VSS