Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ford f150 5.4 3v Repairs/progress made so far

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford f150 5.4 3v Repairs/progress made so far

I'm making some repairs on my 2004 Ford F150 5.4 . Here's a rough timeline on whats going on:

3/16 Got the Truck with a P0012 code. Would run rough at 45-50 mph but would smooth out.
Occasionally a lean code appeared but disappeared when I used fuel injector cleaner.
4/16 Changed oil/filter to synthetic. This is when things hit the fan. Starting getting random codes(misfiring, lean, catalytic converter) Afterwards started idling extremely low, occasionally cutting off when I made a stop.
(realized I used a bad filter-Purolator).

5/16 Changed the VCT solenoids. Engine dies at stop/slow turn.
9/16 Changed spark plugs/coil boots. Rough idle at 45-50 disappeared. Still dies a stop/slow turn.

Forgot to mention when I recorded the videos above I was getting a light white smoke with condensation dripping out the tailpipe.

At this point, I cleaned the throttle body and changed the filter to motorcraft. Runs much smoother but still get the bad idle. It just doesn't do it as often. No smoking out the tailpipe. Here's the updated video:

Also here's a video of what happens when I start it(this happened when I got the truck, during and after repairs made so far):

Come to the conclusion that this is the notorious phaser problem. Looking for some suggestions as far as what I should look at while I got it open. Should I look at changing the chains as well? I'm looking at getting the phasers from either Amazon (Ford) or Freedom racing. Research shows that everything else (especially Dorman) is crap.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 PM

Did a VCT Solenoid test and it idled steady. Ran it for about 20-25 mins with is disconnected. Cut it off and reconnected it and once I started it back up it started idling bad at warm temperature. Not sure if this indicates a bad VCT Solenoid considering that they are basically brand new.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:00 PM

When I was test driving it today, something different happened. My new battery was dead so I jumped it. When I drove it my battery warning light came on and off. Then eventually my abs light and park brake light came on. Shortly my dash gauges, headlights, interior lights, and radio were dead. I eventually lost power in the engine. Was it possible to blow a fuse while doing the vct solenoid disconnect test?

Quick Reply: Ford f150 5.4 3v Repairs/progress made so far