Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.
View Poll Results: DO YOU GO TO THE DEALER?
YES, I go to the DEALER for everything!
9.48%
YES, BUT ONLY FOR WARRANTY WORK!
38.79%
YES, BUT ONLY WHEN NOBODY ELSE CAN FIGURE IT OUT!
11.21%
NO, I AVOID DEALERS LIKE THE PLAGUE!
40.52%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Ford dealer tried to charge $1,300.00 to change plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ford dealer tried to charge $1,300.00 to change plugs!

That's right..............
We've all seen the threads about spark plugs breaking off even when a FORD CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN does it..............

I took my 2004 F150 5.4 2wd in to replace the plugs, I was quoted $308.00, that's it......no explanation that the plugs are famous for breaking off........no explanation that it may cost more because FORD decided to use these 2-piece plugs that get stuck in the block..... no explanation that they know this happens so often that they have a "SPECIAL" tool for this problem..... nothing......no additional explanation.

I approved the $308.00 fee, period.
We go to pick the truck up, "Oh, that'll be $1,300.00 because our TECH had a problem!"

Long story short, after raising MORTAL HELL with the GM and in front of God and customers, we apparently convinced him that FORD's poor design is not my problem!

Total BILL $308.00!
I'm sorry, But I will NOT pay for a bad design, OR for a problem that an employee has caused, OR for a fee that is MORE than I agreed!

Sorry for being an *****HOLE about this, but if FORD knows they have a problem THEY should eat it!

I'm NEVER going to another DEALER, ANY DEALER (unless it's warranty work!).

Sorry for the rant, but is it any wonder that DEALERS are not very popular?!?

AND one more thing..........
We as taxpayers are bailing out these people?????
Where's my BAILOUT MONEY...I had to close my business 6 months ago!
Can you tell I'm PI$$ED?!?

Matter of fact.....let's do a POLL..........
OK, I'll fix another Captain Morgan and settle down now.......

Last edited by bfdtpkt; 07-01-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm hoping in another year or so, this thing will blow up in Ford's face and there will be some resolution to it...
Old 07-01-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ha well they dont call them a stealership for no reason. btw Tattoo is about the only thing i drink from CM, it's probably my favorite drink.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't blame you one bit. if you agree to a price that should be the price you pay or someplace close to it.

My Nissan had an alternator go bad I took it to my mechanic. when I got the truck back I found he replaced both of my battery cable ends (I know they needed to be fixed) with out asking me first and charged me the price for them it was lilt $10. I didn't mind this because I know it was a problem and needed to be fixed. I normally expect the repair to be a little higher then what is quoted because of things like the cable ends and such. but to be charged about $1000 more then what was agreed on with out asking is not right.

Now what would have happened if you didn't have the $1000 to pay for the repair?

My F150 will go to the dealer as long as it is under warranty, just so I can say you are the only place that has done the work on it so if something happens I have proof that it was done by a "knowledgeable mechanic"
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 PM
I WANNA GO FAST!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they only time the dealer has touched one of our Fords (we have 3) is for recall stuff that they did. my '93 has either been worked on by me or my buddy Emmanuel's shop here in town, never the Ford dealer.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

I personally go the dealer for everything. I believe that a good relationship with your dealer is a must because inevetably you will run into a problem that your shadetree mechanic shop can not fix and it will have to go there anyway. Why not start there to begin with and that way if a problem is to arrise, you have the dealer backing you since you are a loyal customer.

There are two completely different schools of thought on this but I am a long time service advisor for a Volvo dealer and a Dodge dealer. I know the value of a good relationship, even if it costs a little more.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they should have called, and told you...if you didn't wanna continue on, i would have said, bring a tow truck.....if i would have did the job on the side, i would tell ya the same thing.....ford will never recall the plug issue

rule #1 never f*ck with people who work on your vehicle, or make your food for that matter....

Last edited by ATOM; 07-01-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lenn
I personally go the dealer for everything. I believe that a good relationship with your dealer is a must because inevetably you will run into a problem that your shadetree mechanic shop can not fix and it will have to go there anyway. Why not start there to begin with and that way if a problem is to arrise, you have the dealer backing you since you are a loyal customer.

There are two completely different schools of thought on this but I am a long time service advisor for a Volvo dealer and a Dodge dealer. I know the value of a good relationship, even if it costs a little more.
Lenn, that sounds good in "theory" but it hasn't worked for me.
Perfect example, I bought a new Grand Prix GTP with every available option, ALWAYS took it to KING Oldsmobile/Pontiac in Ft Lauderdale for EVERY service, EVERY issue for 4 years.....then the service engine light comes on (out of warranty), dealer sez the "computer" is failed and needs to be replaced for $1,400.00.
I took it to PEP BOYS, they said it was a "false" code, RESET it for $29.00!

IMHO, there is NO LOYALTY as far as the DEALERS go, they want you to think that so you'll keep coming back.

Oh, and KING OLDS/PONTIAC????
They were THE largest GM Dealer in Florida for 40 years, now outta business!

I'm not saying that's true with ALL dealers, I'm sure you're very good at your job, but these BIGGER dealers only want money from you.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ATOM
they should have called, and told you...if you didn't wanna continue on, i would have said, bring a tow truck.....if i would have did the job on the side, i would tell ya the same thing.....ford will never recall the plug issue

rule #1 never f*ck with people who work on your vehicle, or make your food for that matter....

I NEVER f*ckd with them, the reason they never gave me a "written" estimate is because they KNEW that was gonna happen but didn't give me the courtesy of a phone call. With a "written" estimate (in FLORIDA) the dealer cannot overcharge, so they knew EXACTLY what they were doing, they've obviously done this before, so I have NO sympathy for a business run like that.

And I NEVER send food back to the kitchen.

I was just very dissappointd the way FORD handled this.
As far as "calling a tow-truck"..... I most assuredly would, then bought the $89.00 SNAP-ON TOOL and done it myself.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"if you didn't wanna continue on, i would have said, bring a tow truck"

I would tell them I drove my truck in it was working until you touched it and you must get it back running again so I can drive it back out and I will not pay for something you did.

Quick Reply: Ford dealer tried to charge $1,300.00 to change plugs!