Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fog light, wiring, or housing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fog light, wiring, or housing?

The past month or so, I have been having to slightly rotate the bulb of one of my fog lights where it seats in the housing, to get it to work. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a problem with the bulb, or a short in the wire, right at the bulb, or not likely or probably not possible, a problem with the light housing? If I turn it like it is supposed to be, all the way locked in, it will not work. I have to back it up a little and then it is still iffy.
Thank you
Old 08-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

I had a problem with a trailer light this weekend that was similar to that. The terminal on the lamp that touches the bottom of the bulb was bent down too far and not touching the bulb terminal. We bent it back up.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:35 PM

Thanks LaMartian, I'll check for that tomorrow when I get home from work.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 AM
Some guy

I look forward to hearing if I was useful or not
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Easiest start is to use a volt/ohm meter, or a simple test light (looks like a screwdriver with a ground wire attached to it; base is clear with a bulb in it. Use either of these two test devices to see if you have 12 volts at the socket that the bulb plugs into. One pin of this fog light socket will be ground, the other, 12 volts. If 12 volts is detected there, then the sockets clips could be worn or loose fitting to the bulb's tabs; sometimes a simple slight twist of the bulbs tabs will help make that connection snug. If not, then a replacement socket has to be installed.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Easiest start is to use a volt/ohm meter, or a simple test light (looks like a screwdriver with a ground wire attached to it; base is clear with a bulb in it. Use either of these two test devices to see if you have 12 volts at the socket that the bulb plugs into. One pin of this fog light socket will be ground, the other, 12 volts. If 12 volts is detected there, then the sockets clips could be worn or loose fitting to the bulb's tabs; sometimes a simple slight twist of the bulbs tabs will help make that connection snug. If not, then a replacement socket has to be installed.
Thank you for your suggestions. I know it is getting power because when I rotate the socket it comes on. After a few days it will be out again and I have to fiddle with it to get it on. So like you said, it very well could be the socket is worn and needs replacing. I will check both yours and LaMartian's solutions this evening.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:18 PM

I wasn't able to get to it until yesterday evening and nothing looks bent. So it looks like I will be ordering a new socket and hopefully that fixes the problem.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Some guy

Also check the ground to the trailer for a good solid connection.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:19 PM

It's been a while since I have updated this post. I spliced in the new socket and couldn't get it to work and then realized I somehow blew the fuse. Good news is that I know for sure it is getting the power since I blew it. I am off to get a fuse this evening and then will see if the new socket fixes the problem.

Quick Reply: Fog light, wiring, or housing?