Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fog Lamp seals leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Fog Lamp seals leaking

Hi gang , My 05 FX4 driver side fog lamp has a seal leak. I have two questions.
1. I read a few mo back on taking headlight apart to paint back ground by putting in in the oven for 20 min @ 275 deg and you could pull front leans apart . The fog lamp has plastic taps and i sure a good heavy seal too. So my question is will the same process work on the fog lamp.

2. I took the lamp off the Truck and after cleaning it looking for break in seal i found what looks like a weep hole on the top toward the back above opening for bulb that had a cardbourd cover over it that was soaked and came off when i clean it . So if it is a weep hole what is the best thing to recover it or not can i just fill in and see if this is the leak problem . My guess is not ,last summer i took that same leans off and blew out and used silicone around leans and body and it work for about 4 mo till i notice water in it again.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sid6377
Hi gang , My 05 FX4 driver side fog lamp has a seal leak. I have two questions.
1. I read a few mo back on taking headlight apart to paint back ground by putting in in the oven for 20 min @ 275 deg and you could pull front leans apart . The fog lamp has plastic taps and i sure a good heavy seal too. So my question is will the same process work on the fog lamp.

2. I took the lamp off the Truck and after cleaning it looking for break in seal i found what looks like a weep hole on the top toward the back above opening for bulb that had a cardbourd cover over it that was soaked and came off when i clean it . So if it is a weep hole what is the best thing to recover it or not can i just fill in and see if this is the leak problem . My guess is not ,last summer i took that same leans off and blew out and used silicone around leans and body and it work for about 4 mo till i notice water in it again.
If the hole re-occured I woukd think there is something causing it. Did it look rubbed through or melted? As for pulling the lights apart...u dont have to pull them apart. Just cook them a little shorter than suggested and then re-press them together (heating and sealing OEM seal) and re-seal yourself. You do not need alot.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for info . The weep hole is designed into the lamp after I posted. I looked at it again and there is raised circle and in the middle is a machine hole about 3/16 " , So I cause I need to know what I should use to cover it back up, it only had heavy paper/cardboard before .
Old 02-22-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

I had the same problem with my old 2004 FX4 and ford changed it for free, becuase of a risk of shorting out the eletrical system. I think they are still fixing them out of warranty also.

Quick Reply: Fog Lamp seals leaking