Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Floor Mats, Ball Receiver, and Tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Floor Mats, Ball Receiver, and Tint

Only had my truck for a month, and I have been absorbing info like crazy from this forum. But these are three topics that I have not really seen much info about.

Floor Mats: I have those awful rubber mats and they are ugly and useless. Has anyone bought these Catch-All Floor Mats? I want them for the front and back, but wanted to know if the fronts moved around at all. The stock pic gives me hope that it fills the entire foot well, discouraging the shifting that I get with the current mats. Can anyone verify that they are plush and they stay still?

Ball Receiver: I dont have anything to regularly tow, but I think a truck without a ball receiver is a sin. Besides, I will tow whenever I need to...my neighbor's trailer, some home improvement tools when I get ready, Uhaul trailers occasionally, and maybe my friend's boat when he buys it. I have seen the threads about how to chose the proper drop receiver, but I have seen some adjustable-height receivers. Some maintain the 10klbs rating as the fixed receivers. Is it just the price that prevents people from getting them? Is it cheaper to just get a few receivers at different (but fixed) heights and hope everything that I tow will be addressed by some common drop heights? BTW, my vehicle is the stock height and I plan to keep it that way.

Tint: I dont want anything drastic...and I want to stay within the legal limits of Florida's laws. My front windows are not tinted, and its causing me discomfort since it lets in soo much light. I want to tint it to either match the rears or come close (front can only be 28%, rears can be 15%). My real question is, how much have you guys paid to have the fronts tinted? My brother-in-law says it probably wont cost more than $60 since its just two windows and they wouldnt have to remove anything. But that sounded shady to me. What are you guys professional experience (I dont want to bother with tinting it myself)?

Thanks in advance to any insight you all can provide.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As for floor mats, I would recommend the WeatherTech. They encompass the entire front area, and have spill guard protection. The Back covers everything, even the hump (front does not).

As for Ball Receiver, if you are keeping your truck stock height, then you wont want a drop mount at all (IMO). Once you put a load on your truck, it will obviously sag. If you had a drop ball, then you run into the chance of scraping it as you go over driveways (in and out of gas stations, stuff like that, etc). I think you are right about the adjustable being pricey and that scaring everyone away (scared me). I have the 3" drop, but I have a 2.5" susp lift and a 3" body lift.

Tint, I recommend going w/ 20%. This is what is from the factory on the rear and back passenger windows. Not illegal, yet dark enough to give you the effect you are looking for.

Hope this helps, but they are just my opinions...
Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 PM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would check with your state laws before you tint. here in nh its no tint at all..
Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by VanoFord
As for floor mats, I would recommend the WeatherTech. They encompass the entire front area, and have spill guard protection. The Back covers everything, even the hump (front does not).

As for Ball Receiver, if you are keeping your truck stock height, then you wont want a drop mount at all (IMO). Once you put a load on your truck, it will obviously sag. If you had a drop ball, then you run into the chance of scraping it as you go over driveways (in and out of gas stations, stuff like that, etc). I think you are right about the adjustable being pricey and that scaring everyone away (scared me). I have the 3" drop, but I have a 2.5" susp lift and a 3" body lift.

Tint, I recommend going w/ 20%. This is what is from the factory on the rear and back passenger windows. Not illegal, yet dark enough to give you the effect you are looking for.

Hope this helps, but they are just my opinions...
WeatherTech doesnt appear to have carpeted floormats...thats kinda what I want. Unless I am missing something on their website. But it looks like the Catch-All covers the back pretty well. I am not sure if it covers as much as the WeatherTech, though.

Ohk...I guess I didnt realize that the drops were for lifted vehicles. So a straight ball receiver like this should work?

In Fla, I cant go below 28% in the front, so 20% wont work. Sure, I may never get pulled over to check, but I want to stay within the legal limits. I guess I should call up a shop or two and get some quotes. I just called a nearby shop and they said $60+tax. So I guess my brother-in-law was right.

Last edited by djjr50; 07-28-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added results
Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry, didnt notice you wanted carpet and catch-all coverage. Most of us like the weathertechs because like the factory carpet, it will always get dirty and not look new eventually.

Yes, that is the ball mount you would use for a standard height truck (nice choice on a 3-way mount)(get your mind out the gutter ppl).

I think a 35% tint would be real nice looking, and it keeps you within limits. Most places (here in texas) dont charge different pricing for different tinting. All a base price for any %. You shouldnt be paying more than $70 if you are just gettin the front 2 doors done.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:12 PM

I just called a local dealer and they quoted me $60 plus tax for the two windows. I asked about the super-heat reflectant tint and he said its $130 for the two windows. Those are ceramic. Guess I will have to stick with the cheaper stuff.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:54 PM

I got the windows tinted. Its looking to be a good add-on. Its been really hot lately, so I cant tell if its making a difference in the sun when its parked, but it keeps the sun off of my forearms when I am driving. What I really need is a remote-activated back window and sunroof...as well as the front two windows. But that is a more expensive mod that I hope to take on later.

Has anyone tried those carpeted floor mats that I posted? The reviews are all glowing, but wanted to see if anyone here uses them.

Quick Reply: Floor Mats, Ball Receiver, and Tint