Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Flex a Lite efan electrical issues!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Flex a Lite efan electrical issues!!

I posted a thread a few days ago about installing my flex a lite 270 efan... well it turned out well except for one thing and a very critical one!!

I will start by saying that every crimp and wiring connection has been carefully done and checked...with that being said: the fuse holder and fuse gets very hot, I happen to have one of those digital laser guns that measure heat and when pointing at the fuse the reading was 105 degrees (fahrenheit) .... I find this to be unnapceptable when the fans are supossed to be drawing 25 amp at full speeds and the fuse being rated at 30 amps, it should not get hot!!

I called flex a lite tech suport and they told me it was a fuse holder issue...I'm a technician for electric forklifts and other industrial equipment and I'm used to work with dc current electrical systems and I knew for sure the fuse holder was not the problem however I did not wanted to overide his diagnostic and agreed to wait for a new fuse holder!!Part came in and I installed it...same problem again!! after running for ten min the fuse gets very hot!!

I'm going to call tomorrow to ask what's the next step before I send them this useless piece of crap back to them!!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:35 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

What wire did you pull the hot wire feeding through the fuse from?
Also, are your thermostat switch(es) all fed from the same hot, and then neutral/ground looped together before or after the fuse?

Last edited by Especial86; 01-29-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you actually checked the amp draw on the motor at full load?
It's possible the motor is dying and drawing too much current, but not enough to pop the fuse, which may be a slow-blow.
Motors will also over amp if the voltage is low. If your alternator keeping up?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 PM

to especial86: the (hot) supply wire goes from battery positive to 30 amp fuse to fans.There's only one thermostat and it goes from radiator to controller ( this is not a fusible line)

to Bennyv83 : I don't think the motors are bad... I mean they could be but they are brand new!! you got a point with the alternator but then if that was the case I would be experimenting some fluctuations on the current flow , no...there's enough power to feed them!!

I will see what he has to say tomorrow, I know there's a flaw on this flex a lite system and I will prove them wrong, I believe the flaw is in the controller... is not a good controller if he sends me another controller I will design my own system where I will put ac clutch to actuate fan 1 and both thru thermal switch... this could be obtained by using two controllers at the same time.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Have you tried going to a thicker gauge of wire?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 PM

I could do that... it will work ...but then again is this not something flex a lite should know about a long time ago? The controller is not smart enough... in my opinion the controller should be able to start fans independently and at different ranges of speed to avoid this overloading problem.

Think about it... you have your truck in parking and iddling for two hours and is very hot outside ...what's going to happen is the ac clutch will be cycling several times... everytimes this happens you got two fans coming on and off on and off at the same time... this equals overloads other problems like premature fan wear!!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 PM

That sounds right to me too. The troyer performance e fan kit apparently has a controller that does just as you suggested... The fans kick on at separate temperatures independently...
Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 PM

I should have researched more before putting my money on a mediocre system to say the least...the main reason i went with them was their fan shroud and low amp fans.

I paid $ 467.00 dollars to upgrade to a product that compromises my truck being burned down to the ground? ... lol I'll give them business tomorrow
Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 PM

Has your experience aside from hardware issues been good with the e fans? Mpg increase? More power tho slight? I'm thinking of getting a set myself.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 AM

there's a mpg gain for sure about 1 mpg , slightly better acceleration and coasting but don't expect nothing huge!!

The biggest change was the ac , it's now very powerfull and the belt now should be easy to change without the stock fan shroud.

With good controllers and a good set up it might be a good modification but remember there are more components to break than a simple clutch fan, so in the long run you might never get your money back on mpg savings!!

Quick Reply: Flex a Lite efan electrical issues!!